Syracuse Clinical Campus
Medical students on the Syracuse campus complete their clinical years at Upstate's own University Hospital and its affiliates.
University Hospital is a regional leader in complex care, offering hundreds of specialty services. As the only Level I Trauma Center in a 17-county area, University Hospital cares for the most seriously ill and injured patients. A heliport on our West Wing ensures critical patients receive the care they need as quickly as possible.
As a student on the Syracuse campus, you will learn alongside doctors using the most advanced technology and techniques. For example:
- At our Central New York Gamma Knife Center, neurosurgeons and radiologists treat patients with brain tumors once labeled inaccessible or inoperable.
- At Upstate's Clark Burn Center, experts provide state-of-the-art burn care, including hyperbaric oxygen therapy, for adult and pediatric patients from 25 counties.
- Our Joslin Diabetes Centerone of only 13 prestigious Joslin sites in the countryexcels in diabetes management, education and treatment.
- And our pediatric cardiac care specialists perform approximately 200 open-heart surgeries on children (some only hours old) each year.
The College of Medicine has five clinical affiliates in Syracuse:
- Veterans Administration Medical Center
- Crouse Hospital
- Upstate University Hospital Community Campus
- Hutchings Psychiatric Center
- St. Joseph's Hospital Health Center
These clinical affiliates provide our students with access to population groups not typically found at University Hospital and expose them to a variety of medical settings and procedures.
Syracuse is not only the fourth largest city in New York State with a symphony, theatre, opera, art museum, science museum, zoo, etc.it is also a vibrant college town. The Upstate campus sits on the edge of downtown and is literally across the street from Syracuse University (SU) and SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry (ESF). Combine these three campuses with nearby LeMoyne College and Onondaga Community College, and you have a town filled with students, professors, research centers, computers, libraries and sporting events.