SUNY Upstate conducts more than $40 million in funded research covering hundreds of basic science and clinical research projects. The university has positioned itself as a top-tier research enterprise in areas such as vision, cancer, neuroscience and stem cell research. Research at Upstate
Our College of Medicine students who are interested in research have a variety of options, ranging from combined programs such as the MD/PhD to individual elective courses.
The Office of Research for Medical Students
Upstate Medical University offers research opportunities in clinical settings as well as in laboratories. Students can connect with researchers in a number of ways.The Office of Research for Medical Students provides undergraduate and graduate medical students information on research at Upstate Medical University and off-campus institutions.
- MD/PhD: a seven-year program combining medical school and graduate studies in the biomedical sciences. Students enjoy a full tuition waiver and a competitive stipend.
- Summer Research: opportunities at Upstate and elsewhere, for academic credit or a stipend.
- Electives: a choice of many research-oriented electives for third- and fourth-year medical students.
College of Medicine At A Glance
- Masters of Public Health (MPH)
- Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health
- Doctor of Medicine (MD)
- Doctor of Medicine/Doctor of Philosophy (MD/PhD)
- Doctor of Medicine/Master of Public Health (MD/MPH)
- Full-time: 525
- Part-time: 222
- Volunteer: 1,518
Residency Match: 98.7%
USMLE Pass Rates
- Step 1: 95%
- Step 2: 98%
(New York residents)