[Skip to Content]

J-1 Visa

J-1 Visas - Research Scholars/Postdocs
Upstate University Hospital
Room 1816
750 East Adams Street
Syracuse, NY 13210
Google Maps & Directions
Phone: 315 464-8948
Name: Karen Coty
Email: [email protected]

The office of Graduate Medical Education is responsible for the Exchange Visitor Program at SUNY Upstate Medical University.


To promote and increase mutual understanding between the people of the United States and the people of other countries by means of educational and cultural exchange.


A Request for a Form DS-2019 has to be completed by the department sponsor and returned to Mandy Brennan in the Graduate Medical Education office. She will then complete and send the DS-2019 to the exchange visitor. The exchange visitor will take this form to the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate in their country that will make the decision whether or not to grant the J1 visa to the exchange visitor. If the J1 visa is granted, the exchange visitor can then enter the U.S.

Sponsoring Department's Responsibilities

Verify that the potential exchange visitor:

  1. Is eligible and qualified for the program in which s/he will be participating;
  2. Has English language skills necessary to complete the program, which may include a period of language study;

Funding Required

Minimum funding required is $2,250 per month, with an additional $650 per month for each dependent. Funding can be provided by the department, by the research scholar's government or employer or by their own personal funds.

Maximum Length of Stay in the U.S.

Five years.

Questions for Potential Research Scholars

Expand all

How can I be accepted as a J-1 Research Scholar?

  • You may apply to the particular department at SUNY Upstate Medical University in which you are interested in doing research and study. It is the responsibility of the department to verify that you are eligible and qualified to participate in their program.
  • You must have sufficient knowledge of the English language to permit you to undertake the particular program for which you are applying.
  • You must have funds of at least $2,250 per month, with an additional $650 per month for each dependent. Funding can be provided by the department at SUNY Upstate who hires you, by your own personal funds or by your government or employer.

How do I obtain my J-1 VISA to enter the U.S.?

  • When a department agrees to hire you, our office is notified. We then send you a Form DS-2019 which you take to a U.S. embassy or consulate in your country.
  • Before you take this form to the embassy, you must pay a one-time SEVIS I-901 fee of $100. Information about this fee can be found on the website, www.ice.gov.
  • If all goes well, the embassy or consulate will give you a J-1 visa which will enable you to enter the U.S.

What is required when I start working at SUNY Upstate?

  • You and your dependents are required to have health insurance which meets the requirements set forth by the U.S. Department of State. This insurance can either be obtained through SUNY Upstate after you arrive (paid either by you or by your department) or through a worldwide insurance plan from your home country.
  • You must pass a physical exam, which includes tests for tuberculosis, rubeola and rubella.
  • You must remain in compliance with U.S. Department of State visitor regulations.