Unique electives are electives proposed by students who wish to do research in a specific field which will allow them more in depth exposure to that particular area of medicine. Generally, a full-time work week of 40 hours is equal to 1 credit. (Refer to Course Selection Book for further guidelines.) Unique electives can be done at Upstate or at another institution/abroad if the student chooses.
The steps for filling out the paperwork for Unique Electives are as follows:
- Students can obtain the documents that need to be completed below. Paperwork must be received and approved prior to the start of the proposed elective.
NOTE: It can take up to six weeks to process paperwork and no retroactive credit will be given.
- Students should provide all requested information and detailed supporting documentation as to what they will be accomplishing during the unique elective.
- Once all paperwork is complete, a signature is required from the Upstate Department Chair on the add/drop portion of the form. (i.e. if the unique elective is in surgery then a signature will be required from the Department of Surgery Chair).
- The completed forms and all supporting documentation should be emailed to Susan Anderson in the UME Office, firstname.lastname@example.org. Upon receipt of the forms, the documentation will be reviewed by the Associate Dean of UME or their designee.
- After review the student will be notified via email if there are any concerns or if a need for clarification.
- If approved, the student will be notified via email and will be sent to the Registrars Office to be added to the student schedule.
Note: For students participating in an elective outside of the United States, students much purchase the SUNY sponsored Study Abroad insurance which can be purchased through the Bursar's Office.
Please return paperwork to Susan Anderson
|Mac users must install Adobe Acrobat/Reader,
otherwise the form fillable documents will not work properly.