[Skip to Content]

Travel Policy

NY State Travel Expense Reimbursement Policy Summary

Expand all


  • Use our contract travel agency.
  • Supersaver with Saturday night stayover must have cost savings documented in a memorandum and be approved by the Office of Finance and Management.
  • Travel by air when distance is less than 200 miles requires approval by the President or his/her designee
  • State employees with state issued credit cards must use these cards to pay for airfare. These employees must purchase the airfare tickets from Direct Travel Consultants only. Direct Travel Consultants will contact the Travel Office for a control number.
  • Research Foundation employees traveling under state funds will be contacted by the Travel Department once the Travel Office receives the approved Travel Authorization.
  • Any employee who purchases airfare for another employee can not put all expenses on one travel voucher/payment request. Each employee will need to submit their own voucher/payment request and reimburse the employee who made the purchase. 
  • The above policy must be followed when purchasing airline tickets.  In a case when airfare is not able to be purchased through Direct Travel Consultants, an advance justification memo must be signed by the department head.  Airline tickets purchased through Priceline will not be accepted.

Car Rental

  • When using a rental car, it should be rented from the authorized contract car rental agency. Enterprise should be used for all rentals (within and outside NYS.) When making a reservation the user should quote corporate code "NA24NYS" to ensure contract rates are reserved. Use of other than contract car rental agency must be justified.
  • You can reserve your car with Enterprise.
  • Loss Damage Waiver insurance (LDW or CDW) must be purchased (and will be reimbursed) to ensure proper coverage and liability. No other insurance is required nor will be reimbursed.
  • Justification required for all car rentals
  • Rent in the name of New York State and sign the agreement as agent for the State. Use the NYS Tax Exempt Certificate when renting within NYS.
  • When using Enterprise Rent-A-Car, inform the agent of our Customer Number XZ29282 & P85990.
  • State Travel Credit Card holders must use these cars to rent a vehicle through Enterprise ONLY. 
  • Research Foundation employees when traveling under state funds will need to use their own personal credit cards to rent a vehicle from Enterprise ONLY


  • When attending a conference/seminar, the agenda or brochure is required


  • Lodging reimbursement is for room and tax only outside of New York State. If within New York State traveler must provide hotel with a state tax exempt form. If tax is charged on an individual's state issued travel card it will be the responsibility of the card holder to obtain a credit for the tax.
  • Hotel accommodations for state employees can be booked through Direct Travel Consultants and charged to the individual state credit cards.
  • Research Foundation employees traveling under state funds should contact the Travel Office.
  • Maximum lodging reimbursement depends on the area of assignment and is based on the current federal per diem rate schedule.
  • If lodging rate exceeds the maximum per diem, approval must be obtained from the finance office and a justification memo is needed
  • Reimbursement for personal telephone calls, pay TV or movies, laundry, entertainment, and expenses to and from meals is not allowed.
  • All conferences, seminars or training programs sponsored by NYS should be within established per diem rates.
  • Effective in 1999 the maximum lodging rates do not include the tax.
  • NYS taxes are not reimbursable. See Frequently Used Forms for Tax Exempt Certificates.
  • AirBnB, VRBO or similar rentals will not be reimbursed to employees.


  • Reimbursement will be based on the federal per diem allowance for area of assignment.
  • If traveling for the day, you may get reimbursed up to the max per diem amount with documentation of meal receipts. If there are no meal receipts provided when submitting your expense report, the max per diem you can get reimbursed is $5 for breakfast and $12 for dinner, which is taxable. 
  • If submiting receipts for meals, breakfast will only be reimbursed if it is before 11am and dinner will only be reimbursed if it is after 4pm. 
  • If an employee is staying with friends or relatives while traveling, they will receive a fixed rate allowance for meals and incidentals. When traveling to New York City, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland and Westchester Counties the per diem rate is $50/day. When traveling to Albany, Binghamton, Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse the per diem rate is $40/day. 
  • Eligible for breakfast on day of departure if departure is at least one hour before normal work time hours.
  • Lunch is not a reimbursable expense.
  • Eligible for dinner on day of return if returning at least two hours after normal work time hours.
  • If meals are included in conference fee, the meal allowance must be reduced.


  • Mileage reimbursement is based on the current IRS rate.
  • All employees who are traveling will receive mileage from their official station if it is closer to your destination then a home address. 


  • Original receipts are required.


  • Actual, reasonable, and necessary expenses for business purposes will be reimbursed.

Phone Calls

  • Business phone calls and fax charges will be reimbursed with a memo justifying the expense. No personal calls will be reimbursed.

Changes in State Travel Policy

The Office of The State Comptroller, in seeking to streamline the State's travel rules, has advised the State agencies of changes to their travel reimbursement policies. Effective immediately the following revisions are in effect.

Effective September 2nd 2021, all state employees must apply for a state travel card when they will be traveling for work related events. The state travel card must be used to pay for: Hotel Stays – room and tax only (tax exempt within NYS), Economy class airfare, Car Rentals – Enterprise Car Rental must be used (tax exempt within NYS, Gas for the rental car cannot be charged to the state travel card, that needs to be paid out of pocket) and Train Tickets.


Expand all

Increasing unreceipted meal allowance for non-overnight travel

  • The unreceipted meal allowance is now $5.00 for breakfast and $12.00 for dinner with no differential for upstate and downstate locations. The employee's option to claim reimbursement for actual receipted expenses up to the maximum per diem meal allowances remains in effect.