Upstate Limb Preservation
A Multidisciplinary Approach
The success of our Limb Preservation Program comes from its unique ability to draw from the expertise of multiple specialists to provide our patients with the highest level of care. Vascular Surgeons work closely with Wound Care Specialists and Podiatrists to formulate the best plan for the patient. Our other collaborators provide support in Cardiology, Infectious Disease, Diabetes, Physical Therapy, Nurse Practitioners and Physician Assistants.
Our expert staff can provide an evaluation of complex non-healing wounds, assess the patient’s circulation, and make treatment recommendations. We offer advanced techniques in managing limb-threatening conditions, such as:
- Diabetic Foot Ulcers, diabetic wound care, or diabetic infections and treatment
- Advanced peripheral vascular disease
- Acute and chronic infections
Why Upstate Medical University?
- Is only academic medical center in Central New York
- Serves one-third of the State- from Pennsylvania to Canada.
- Provides premier services including: a Level-1 trauma center, a dedicated children’s hospital, comprehensive stroke certification, and Cancer Center
- Mission is to improve the health of the communities served through education, biomedical research, and patient care
Our goal is to decrease amputation rates and optimize chances of maintaining a functional limb.
- We provide cutting edge technology and the most advanced techniques and expertise to avoid amputation and save limbs
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy allows us the ability to provide state-of-the-art wound care
- Limb preservation is considered to be a critical need
- Are Board Certified and nationally recognized vascular specialists
- Have advanced skills in both open & minimally invasive endovascular procedures tailored to patient needs
- Collaborate with the Joslin Diabetes Center for optimization of diabetic management
- Participate in cutting edge research. Clinical research trials are ongoing in the Vascular Surgery Division as well as the Joslin Diabetes Center.