Residency Program Highlights
Exposure to Dentistry Spectrum
- Restorative and aesthetic dentistry.
- Implant dentistry.
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery.
- Fixed and removable prosthetics.
- Pediatric dentistry.
- Periodontics, endodontics and limited orthodontics.
General Practice Experience
- Act as a primary care provider for individuals and groups of patients. This includes: providing emergency and multidisciplinary comprehensive oral health care; providing patient focused care that is coordinated by the general practitioner; directing health promotion and disease prevention activities; and using advanced dental treatment modalities.
- Plan and provide multidisciplinary oral health care for a wide variety of patients including patients with special needs.
- Manage the delivery of oral health care by applying concepts of patient and practice management and quality improvement that are responsive to a dynamic health care environment.
- Function effectively within the hospital and other health care environments.
- Function effectively within interdisciplinary health care teams.
- Apply scientific principles to learning and oral health care. This includes using critical thinking, evidence or outcomes-based clinical decision-making, and technology-based information retrieval systems.
- Utilize the values of professional ethics, lifelong learning, patient centered care, adaptability, and acceptance of cultural diversity in professional practice.
- Understand the oral health needs of communities and engage in community service.
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Anticipate and prevent medical emergencies that may occur during treatment.
- Diagnose patients with complex needs.
- Integrate multiple dental disciplines.
- Learn techniques to enhance patient's facial aesthetics including implant restorations.
- Perform procedures on pediatric patients.
- Develop treatment plans for patients with special needs.
- Consult with professional colleagues for treatment of dental patients.
- Provide dental care as part of a professional health care team.
Trauma and Emergencies
- Perform dental examinations and assess traumatic injuries.
- Provide care and management of patients with infections and complex oral-facial emergencies.
- Learn dental business and practice skills including scheduling, insurance, record keeping, and financial arrangements.