MS IV Department of Surgery Course Overview
The fourth year consists of twelve, four-week periods beginning in April/May, following the completion of all required clerkships. The Department of Surgery elective course offerings consists of 6 Electives and 7 Acting Internships.
General Surgery Electives Course Options
- Burns Surgery (SURG 8008)
- Colorectal Surgery (SURG 8028)
- Critical Care (SURG 8030)
- Pediatric Surgery (SURG 8014)
- Plastic Surgery (SURG 8015)
- Vascular Surgery (SURG 8048)
General Surgery Acting Internship Course Options
- Acting Internship in Acute Care Surgery (SURG 8051)
- Acting Internship in Colorectal Surgery (SURG 8054)
- Acting Internship in Hepatobiliary Surgery (SURG 8001)
- Acting Internship in General Surgery at Crouse Health (SURG 8013)
- Acting Internship in General Surgery at Upstate Community General (SURG 8053)
- Acting Internship in Thoracic Surgery (SURG 8005)
- Acting Internship in Trauma Surgery (SURG 8055)
All 4th year surgical courses are considered intensive, inpatient experiences designed to provide students with increased responsibilities for the assessment and management of the surgical patient. Students will be integrated into the health care team and call schedule. However, our Acting Internships (a.k.a “Sub Internships” (Sub-I) or “Audition Rotations”) are set apart from the Elective courses by a set of additional requirements including mandatory clinical logging and case presentations.
Individual course descriptions may be found by clicking on the following link: Course Selection Handbook.
For additional information on the course selection procedures and policies, please visit,
Clinical Course Offerings and Procedures.
Details for Visiting Students:
Students from other institutions, interested in taking a Surgical Elective at Upstate, will need to apply via VSLO (VSAS). If your school does not offer VSAS, please email our Registrar’s Office, at Registrar@upstate.edu.
Please note: Each spring, Upstate holds an elective lottery for its MSIII students. Visiting students may only be placed, based on course availability, after the elective lottery selection process has been completed.