MS IV Department of Surgery Course Overview
The fourth year consists of twelve, four-week periods beginning in May, following the completion of all required clerkships. The Department of Surgery elective course offerings consists of 5 Electives and 8 Acting Internships.
General Surgery Electives Course Options
- Burns Surgery (SURG 8008)
- Critical Care (SURG 8030)
- Pediatric Surgery (SURG 8014)
- Peri-Operative Basics (SURG 8056) - Once a year in Spring Semester (Upstate Students only)
- Plastic Surgery (SURG 8015) - On hold until further notice
General Surgery Acting Internship Course Options
- Acting Internship in Acute Care Surgery (SURG 8051)
- Acting Internship in Breast Surgery (SURG 8057) - On hold until further notice
- Acting Internship in Colorectal Surgery (SURG 8054)
- Acting Internship in Hepatobiliary Surgery (SURG 8001)
- Acting Internship in General Surgery at Upstate Community General (SURG 8053)
- Acting Internship in Thoracic Surgery (SURG 8005)
- Acting Internship in Trauma Surgery (SURG 8055)
- Acting Internship in Vascular Surgery (SURG 8048)
All 4th year surgical courses are considered intensive, inpatient experiences designed to provide students with increased responsibilities for the assessment and management of the surgical patient. Students will be integrated into the health care team and call schedule. However, our Acting Internships (a.k.a. “Sub Internships” (Sub-I) or “Audition Rotations”) are set apart from the Elective courses by a set of additional requirements including mandatory clinical logging and required number of case (patient) presentations, and a minimum of one required research presentions.
Individual course descriptions may be found by clicking on the following link: Course Selection Handbook.
For additional information on the course selection procedures and policies, please visit,
Clinical Course Offerings and Procedures
Details for Visiting Students:
The following is information for students outside of Upstate, interested in an applying for one of General Surgery’s 4th year electives:
A-You must have the ability to apply through VSLO.
B-You have three elective options: (1-Burns Surgery, 2-Critical Care (Surgical ICU), and 3-Pediatric Surgery) through VSLO, starting in Period 8 (January).
C-You must take these electives on our Registrar's elective period schedule.