About the Process
Upstate Medical University prides itself in continuously striving for excellence and continuous improvement. In 2016, Upstate embarked on the journey of creating a new strategic plan. The timing of this initiative was optimal due to a few factors:
- Our prior Strategic Plan sunsetted in 2015
- New leadership internally and externally
- Significant changes in the healthcare, academic, and research environment
- Evolving needs of our employees, learners, patients, community and stakeholders.
The Balanced Scorecard Institute was engaged to provide training and consultative services related to the development of an institutional strategy map and self-sustained planning and performance management processes related to our institutional goals. During the strategic planning process, multiple phases involving cross-representational groups of leadership, faculty, staff, and stakeholders systematically worked through BSI’s Nine Steps to Success™ to identify, develop, and connect the dots amongst the various components of strategic planning, budgeting, operations and management.
The final product was an institution-wide, Tier-1, balanced scorecard strategic plan which provides a visible and practical way to connect day-to-day operations and management, the measurements being used to track success, the strategic objectives the organization is trying to accomplish and the overarching mission and values of Upstate Medical University. In short, a road map that connects each person’s role to the short term and long-range vision of this great university. Together, through this process and the subsequent initiatives, we will further develop connectivity to create One University.
What is a Balanced Scorecard?
A balanced scorecard is an integrated strategy and performance management system. In short, it is a tool that:
- Communicates with clarity the mission, vision, and strategy to employees and stakeholders
- Aligns day-to-day work to the vision and strategy
- Provides a framework for prioritizing programs, projects, services and resources, making us more efficient and effective.
Why Use A Balanced Scorecard Methodology?
- The Balanced Scorecard is a tried and true method that works in all environments.
- The Balanced Scorecard is a proven tool and different than any previously used at Upstate Medical University.
- The system makes connections for and to people.
- Measurement-managed organizations are better aligned and more successful.