Blood Drive Registration
About Upstate Blood Drives
Upstate hosts on-site blood drives to help the needs of our patients and community.
Every Donation Counts:
- Blood cannot be manufactured. It can only come from volunteer donors.
- A Power Red donation is nearly double the red blood cells versus a regular blood donation.
- Red blood cells are the most transfused blood component.
- One donation can help save more than one life.
- Approximately 29,000 units of red blood cells are needed every day in the U. S.
- Nearly 16 million blood components are transfused each year in the U.S.
- Sickle cell disease affects 90,000 to 100,000 people in the U.S. Sickle cell patients can require blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- The average red blood cell transfusion is approximately 3 units.
- According to the American Cancer Society, more than 1.8 million people are expected to be diagnosed with cancer in 2020. Many of them will need blood, sometimes daily, during their chemotherapy treatment.
Supported by the Advocates for SUNY Upstate Medical University