Overview of the VBL Suites and Research Capability
In-Vitro BSL-3 suites
- Virus culture and propagation.
- Development of reagents and assays for virus characterization.
- Identification of viral epitopes critical for antibody binding and neutralization.
- Generation and production of reporter viruses.
- Virus neutralization assays.
- In-vitro immune assays, including high-throughput ELISA assays (Bio-Plex).
In-vivo BSL-3 suites
- Development of animal models of viral infection suitable for screening vaccine and therapeutic candidates and/or pathogenesis studies.
- Understanding the biology of disease transmission in small animal models.
- Studies on the evolution and emergence viruses including the identification of factors that affect viral host-range and virulence.
- Identification and evaluation of the innate, cellular and humoral immune responses to viral infection.
- Understanding immune-mediated pathology or host factors that might predispose to severe infection.
- Development of vaccine and therapeutic candidates against viral infections.
ACL-3 suites (arthropod containment level-3)
The VBL will provide safe and secure facility for investigators to maintain and colonize infected ticks / mosquitoes for studies such as:
- Vector competence,
- Understand the biology of diseases transmission by mosquitoes and ticks.
- Assess the ability of mosquitoes and ticks to transmit diseases.
- Vaccine & therapeutics evaluation by natural disease transmission by ticks and mosquitoes including human transmission studies.