Advanced Fluorescent Imaging
Core Director: Arvydas Matiukas, PhD
Phone: 315 464-7997
Location: 3607 IHP/NRB
This core facility enables neuroscientists to visualize the structure of individual neurons and their activity in the living organism and has potential applications in many other research areas (such as microbiology, molecular biology, ophthalmology, etc.) for the study of 3D structure and process dynamics.
The Core was moved to the new Neuroscience Research Building and expanded in 2014. The Core provides several instruments to image fixed samples, live cells, and live animals. The hardware and software allow different imaging modes ranging from single slice to multicolor 3D time series. Available environmental chambers provide optimal conditions for long term experiments on live cells.
Project consultation/collaboration, training, and technical assistance are available from Core Director (a Zeiss certified microscopy specialist). All users must receive training (separate for each microscope) before operating the equipment. Trained and proficiency certified users may operate the Core equipment without supervision.
Instrumentation in Core
- Zeiss LSM510 scanning confocal/two-photon microscope system
- Zeiss LSM 780 confocal
- Deep Brain 2p Imaging Microscope
- Superresolution Microscope
- Environmental chamber providing temperature and CO2 control
- Coherent Chameleon tunable phased NIR laser for two-photon excitation
- Newport vibration isolation optical table
- A separate graphical workstation with Zeiss and ImageJ software for image analysis
Calendar sign up
All calendar reservations are now in 1 hr blocks
Advance reservation is limited:
- a) starting Friday of each week ONLY TIME FOR THE NEXT WEEK may be booked
- b) there is a limit of 5 hrs/weekday/lab booking that should fit into either 8am-1pm or 1-6pm window (in 1 hr blocks)
If time is available, you may sign up in the afternoon for additional time, only for the next day (in 1 hr blocks).
Time reserved on weekends and off hours is not limited in duration, but you may only sign up (starting Friday) for the following week.
If you finish early contact the next user before turning off the laser.
- The hours billed are based on your computer log off. Remember to log off to end the billing session.
- All users must record system usage on the paper log at each microscope.
- Minimum time billed is 1 hr
- Each imaging session will be billed by the larger of either the time reserved or hours used in 1 hr increments (i.e., all time is round up to a full hour)
- Technical support is billed in 1 min increments and added to the cost/hr for the laser usage
- The annual power user fee has been replaced by the quarterly discount. There is now a quarterly cap on the cost of laser use. Other fees (training, technical support etc) are billed in addition to laser use and are not discounted.
If you fail to show up for time you have scheduled on the calendar, you will be billed for the amount of time scheduled (this is not considered laser use and is not included in the quarterly discount).
Removal (cancellation) or modification of time scheduled on the calendar must be done at least 24 hr before the time you were scheduled for or you will be billed for the amount of time originally scheduled. (Note the calendar keeps electronic record of all entries and modifications).
How to Access Core Services:
Phone: 315 464-7997
If any user has difficulty accessing the LSM780 confocal or has a project that does not fit into the new rules please contact Core Director Arvydas.
The Core is housed in the Neuroscience Research Building (NRB).