[Skip to Content]

Storage and Transfer of Radioactive Materials

Reviewed 6/2/16

All storage areas for radioactive materials must meet the following conditions:

1. Provide adequate radiation protection.  The amount and type of protection required will depend on a number of factors: quantity of radioactive material (activity), types of radiations emitted, proximity of workers etc. The amount of shielding will be such that exposure levels in adjacent accessible areas shall be as low as reasonably achievable with a maximum of 2 mRem in any one hour.

2. Have appropriate radiation warning signs conspicuously displayed.

3. Have provision for locking the storage area. Cupboards and cabinets can be fitted with key locks or padlocks. Refrigerators and freezers should be purchased with door locks.

Note that the N.Y. State Department of Health requires radioactive materials to be secured when, for example, a laboratory room is unlocked and no laboratory personnel are present.

4. Food, drink or personal use items must not be stored with radioactive materials.

5. All storage containers must be appropriate for the type of radioactive material being stored and shall be labeled with the amount (activity) and name of the radioactive material and the universal radiation symbol. Please contact the Radiation Safety Office (4-6510), for assistance in meeting the above conditions.

Transfer of Radioactive Materials

        An authorized user may transfer control of radioactive material to another authorized user either on or off campus. Transfer may occur only upon notification to and approval of the Radiation Safety Officer (RSO). Notification to the RSO is made using the “Radioactive Materials Transfer Form.”  here.

      Radioactive materials can only be transferred to individuals who are authorized users as designated by the appropriate institutional, state or federal agency having jurisdiction. 

The following conditions shall be met:

1. The person receiving the nuclides must be an authorized user and have authorization to use the radioactive materials in question.

2. If the person receiving the nuclides is at another institution, he/she must have the appropriate Federal, State or institutional permits for possession of the radioactive material.

3. The amount of radioactivity transferred shall be such that possession limits are not exceeded.

4. The “Record of Radioactive Materials Transfer,” obtainable at the Radiation Safety Office, shall be filled out.

 5. A copy of the transfer record shall be sent to the Radiation Safety Office.

     Please contact the Radiation Safety Office (4-6510), for assistance in meeting the above conditions. We will also provide guidance assistance in packaging the material for shipment and filling out of the proper forms, in order to insure that all state and federal regulations are met.