Time Off Policy
Per Institution policy, fellows are allowed a total of 20 days off per academic year (this includes interview time, vacation time, and sick time exceeding 4 days); unused time-off can not be carried over to the following year (i.e. you must use your annual allotment of 20 days).
Any time beyond 20 days must be made up (i.e. training time must be extended which means that your residency end date will be after June 30th of your final year; extending your training means that your fellowship or employment start date will be delayed beyond July 1st) in order for you to be eligible for the ABIM Certifying Exam. There are no exceptions to this rule.
- Vacation days must be taken in one-week blocks (i.e. 5 days) no more than 2 weeks at a time. The only time this is overruled is when the request is approved by the Program Director or Division Chief. Time off is per the Department of Medicine policy. The amount of time that may be taken and is equal to 20 days. All 20 days must be taken over the course of an academic year and cannot be carried over to the next academic year.
- No more than 2 fellows can be on vacation at any time
- Vacations will not be approved during ACCP and ATS
- Away Conferences
- Vacation should not be planned during Annual Chest or ATS meetings.
- The first year fellow may attend the NYS Thoracic Meeting
- One second year fellow will attend the SCCM Meeting and one fellow the ATS Conference.
- If a fellow has a paper, abstract, or case report to present at a national or state meeting, we will try and make arrangements for that fellow to attend that meeting.