The primary mission of the SUNY Upstate Medical University Adult Psychiatry Clinic is the education of Residents in Psychiatry and Interns in Clinical Psychology under the careful supervision of the SUNY Upstate Medical University Department of Psychiatry Faculty who are themselves fully qualified and licensed psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers.
The Clinic is dedicated to providing the best available care that our community has to offer. Referrals to our Clinic are screened to fulfill our missions of teaching those in training while being able to assist patients in resolving problems. In the event a patient is not accepted into our program, we will work with the patient to locate appropriate alternative care.
The Admission and Treatment Process
- Those seeking treatment may be self-referred, referred by their physicians or other providers, social agencies.
- Psychiatric and Psychological evaluations are also completed for Departments at University Hospital.
- Patients are invited to call us directly at:
Weekdays, between 8:00 am and 5 pm
Inquire about clinician availability.
- If admitted, patients are invited to take an active part in planning their treatment.
- The length of treatment is determined by factors including, the diagnosis, past history, treatment modality, prognosis, etc.
Our goal is to work with patients to ensure progress in restoring their health and well being.
Crisis intervention services are available through the Emergency Room at University Hospital and the Upstate Medical University Inpatient Psychiatric Unit. We do not manage psychiatric emergencies at the Adult Outpatient Psychiatry Clinic except for those enrolled at our Clinic.
Also available at the clinic:
- Individual therapy
- Group therapy
- Family therapy
- Limited social work services
- Medication management
- Psychological Testing for established clinical patients
Appointments can be made by calling our clinic secretary at 315 464-3165. If there is an anticipated opening, a packet will be mailed for completion and must be returned prior to an appointment being scheduled. Please complete this packet to the best of your ability as it helps us determine which treatments may work best for you.
The hospital bills many insurances, but not all. No one is denied services because of their inability to pay. A sliding fee schedule is available to qualified patients based on income.
Parking is available in the Garage East parking garage on Sarah Loguen Street, immediately opposite the entrance to the parking garage of Upstate Medical University. It is a short walk from the Garage East to the Clinic. You may be eligible for discounted parking. We will validate the cost of the parking ticket.