Applying to Our Program
Thank you for your interest in applying to our residency program. Our program was visited by the ACGME Residency Review Committee in 2012 and we are proud to say that we have been accredited until 2024. With our continued accreditation, dynamic curriculum and a board pass rate of 100%, our program continues to seek the most promising psychiatry applicants through the National Resident Matching Program.
Deciding which programs to apply to can be very difficult. So, what makes us stand out?
- Focus on resident wellbeing
- Mentoring for research and clinical work
- Well-rounded curriculum focusing on both psychotherapy and neuroscience/psychopharmocology
- Diverse clinical experience at multiple sites
- Extensive list of electives to choose from
- 4 weeks of vacation/year
- Book & travel allowance
- Residents choose their call
- Annual resident retreat
- Affordable city (average rental costs $800 -$900/month)
- Excellent medical and dental benefits
- Resident lunch gatherings weekly (lunch provided)
- A variety of clinical sites, all within close proximity to the main hospital
The number of ERAS applications we receive each year continues to rise. On average, we receive 1400 applications through the ERAS and that number continues to grow by 10 - 20% each year as our program continues to gain recognition. For the 2023-2024 academic year, we will have openings for 11 incoming PGY1s (8 at Upstate University Hospital, 3 at our participating community locations). With that said, we closely adhere to the following criteria while screening our applicants:
- We only accept applications through ERAS;
- Interviews are held from mid-October to early February.
- A holistic approach is used to review applications; however, we prefer candidates who have graduated from medical school within the last 5 years and who have passed Step 2.
- ECFMG certification is required at the time of application.
- We prefer up to 3 - 4 letters of recommendation. If you are a foreign/international medical graduate, at least one of the letters of recommendation must be from an American psychiatrist.
- US experience is desirable but not required.
- All male applicants with US citizenship must be registered with the Selective Service.
- Step 3 is not required at the time of application.
- We sponsor J-1 Visas and H-1 Visas
NRMP tracks for the 2024 Match:
- Adult Psychiatry Categorical: 1516400C0 (Upstate University Hospital; 8 spots available, Syracuse, NY)
- Psych/Psychiatry Service Corps: Samaritan Medical Center (1 spot)
- Psych/Psychiatry Service Corps: Buffalo Psychiatric Center (OMH; 2 spots)