Our Residency Program
Our department is a home for creativity and humanism; we believe these qualities permeate everything we do in psychiatry, from healing to innovation. We believe that great psychiatrists have a solid foundation in psychotherapy, so we devote a lot of time and energy to providing this. We also believe that in order to be excellent in art and science of psychiatry, one must dually master psychotherapy and neuroscience simultaneously. To that end, we strive to live in the tradition of dialectical challenge, debate, discussion and research.
We strive to create the best residency experience possible and have a long history of adopting new approaches to meet this goal. Eight years ago, we established a one-month long “Cornerstone Block” to ease our new residents into their clinical responsibilities, and provide a mentorship program to support our interns during their monumental first year. In addition, we offer weekly process groups in the first 2 years of residency to promote well-being. We work to create a low stress, supportive environment to promote learning and the creative energy necessary for innovative research and clinical work.
We aim for choices. In addition to our excellent teaching sites (University Hospital, Hutchings Psychiatric Center, Community General Hospital, and VA Syracuse Medical Center), we have the fortune of offering electives with diverse patient populations, both in the city of Syracuse and in rural Upstate NY. Our rich selection of elective experiences allow trainees to shape their residency in a way that best fit their interests and career goals. We let residents choose their research mentors and projects.
Our faculty are passionate. Our residents are eager to learn. Our department aims to help our community's patients in their recovery processes. The awards and recognitions listed here prove that we are doing something right. It is an honor and pleasure to be a member of this department and residency program, and we hope that one day you will say the same thing.
What sets our program apart:
- Award-winning psychodynamic psychotherapy training program (2013 American Psychoanalytic Association Scientific Research Poster Award). Read more about our Psychotherapy program.
- US News & World Report ranked our program as one of the top third psychiatry residency programs nationally
- Innovative Rural Psychiatry Track - First in Central New York
- Specialized 4-week intensive July orientation for incoming residents (read more)
- The nations first training program to develop an integrated webcam system for clinical supervision
- Over $2 million grants in federally funded research
- The nation's only dedicated mentoring program for PGY-1 residents.
- The nation's only residency program offering dual certification in MPA and psychiatry
- Board pass rate for the past 4 years is 100%
- Flexibility to design your own research and elective experiences
- Innovative use of technology including Telepsychiatry
- Award winning Faculty - As a whole, our faculty collectively boast 19 Presidents Awards, 7 Chancellors Awards, one Jacobsen and two Distinguished Professors and countless Residents Teaching awards
- Award winning residents - our residents have received both the Anne Alonso award in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Henderson Award in adult Psychiatry from the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT). In addition, our residents have also received the hospital-wide Teamwork Award three times (a record for a single residency!). This year psychiatry residents received 3 of the 5 Gold Humanism Awards for Excellence in Teaching from medical students.
- Our residents have published well over 60 articles and abstracts in the last ten years.
Residency News and Updates
Our residents have published well over 60 articles and abstracts in the last ten years. Our residents have received both the Anne Alonso award in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the Henderson Award in adult Psychiatry from the American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT). In addition, our residents have also received the hospital-wide Teamwork Award three times (a record for a single residency!) and Gold Humanism Award from their peers.