Dean's Student Admissions Ambassador Program
The Dean’s Student Ambassador Program at SUNY Upstate Medical University is an esteemed initiative designed to select exceptional students who will serve as outstanding representatives and advocates for the university. The program aims to provide prospective students, parents, faculty, and community members with an authentic and insightful perspective into the medical university experience.
As Student Ambassadors, participants will have the unique opportunity to showcase their dedication to academic excellence, professionalism, and compassion while serving as positive role models for current and prospective students. Through their involvement, Ambassadors will contribute to the university's mission to improve the health of the communities we serve through education, biomedical research, and patient care.
Program DetailsExpand all
Expectations and Responsibilities
- Exemplify Professionalism: Student Ambassadors will uphold the highest standards of professionalism, demonstrating integrity, respect, and ethical behavior at all times.
- Foster Positive Relationships: Ambassadors will engage in meaningful conversations with prospective students and their families, providing accurate and helpful information about the university's four colleges, programs, admission requirements, campus resources, and student life.
- Lead Campus Tours: Ambassadors will guide campus tours, showcasing key facilities, laboratories, research centers, and other notable areas of the medical university. They will share personal experiences, highlight unique opportunities, and answer questions to provide a comprehensive understanding of campus life.
- Participate in Events: Ambassadors will actively participate in university events such as open houses, information sessions, career fairs, and alumni gatherings. They will assist in event planning, set-up, and serve as representatives to promote the university's offerings and opportunities.
- Contribute to Social Media: Student Ambassadors will be responsible for creating engaging content for the university's social media platforms, sharing their experiences, campus highlights, and important university updates to reach a wider audience.
- Support Admissions Efforts: Ambassadors may be asked to participate in recruitment efforts, such as conducting MMI interviews, contacting prospective students, making follow-up calls, and attending college fairs or high school visits to promote the medical university.
- Professional Development Opportunities: Ambassadors will have access to exclusive workshops, training sessions, and seminars focused on leadership development, public speaking, effective communication, and other essential skills to enhance their personal and professional growth.
- Networking Opportunities: Ambassadors will have the chance to network with university administrators, faculty members, medical professionals, and alumni, forging valuable connections that can open doors for future collaborations, mentorship, and career opportunities.
- Resume Enhancement: Participation in the Dean’s Ambassador Program will significantly enhance students' resumes, demonstrating their commitment to service, leadership, and their role as ambassadors for the medical university. Upon successful completion of the program, Ambassadors will receive a letter of commendation in their university record.
Terms and Conditions
- Academic and Professional Standing: Candidates must be in good academic and professional standing and free of any current or pending disciplinary actions. Any scheduled academic related activity will take absolute precedence over any Ambassador responsibilities. Ambassadors should have excellent time management skills so that work and other organizations do not hinder their ability to participate in this program.
- Mandatory Training and Meetings: Ambassadors will be required to attend training sessions, regular meetings, and workshops conducted by program coordinators. These sessions will equip Ambassadors with the necessary knowledge and skills to fulfill their responsibilities effectively.
- Dress Code: Student Ambassadors will adhere to a specified dress code that reflects professionalism and aligns with the university's standards. Guidelines will be provided to ensure appropriate attire for various events and occasions.
- Professional Conduct: Ambassadors are expected to represent the medical university with the utmost professionalism and adhere to the university's code of conduct. Any violation of professional conduct may result in the termination of an individual's ambassadorship.
To promote participation and retain ambassadors, we will incorporate a point system. The point system will be clearly communicated and will require tracking each ambassador's points, and regularly updating them on their progress to keep them motivated and engaged in the program. This responsibility will be primarily managed by the leadership positions within the program.
- Attending and actively participating in an event: 5 points
- Organizing and leading an event: 10 points
Campus Tours and Information Sessions:
- Conducting campus tours: 5 points per tour
- Assisting in information sessions: 5 points per session
Social Media Engagement:
- Creating social media content: 3 points per post
- Assisting in college fairs or high school visits: 5 points per event
- Contacting prospective students: 2 points per contact
Training and Professional Development:
- Attending mandatory training sessions: 5 points per session
- Participating in additional professional development workshops: 3 points per workshop
- Taking on a leadership role within the Student Ambassador Program: 10 points
- To stay active in the Student Ambassador position, students must accumulate a minimum of 40 points per academic year.
- Letter from the Dean: Student ambassadors who accumulate a minimum of 50 points within an academic year will receive a personalized letter from the Dean of Admissions. This letter can be included in their portfolio or used for future reference.
- Recognition and Awards: At the end of each academic year, student ambassadors with the highest point totals will be recognized and awarded certificates or trophies for their outstanding dedication and contributions to the program.
- Priority Consideration for Leadership Positions: Student ambassadors who consistently demonstrate exceptional commitment and performance may be given priority consideration for leadership positions within the program, such as Head Ambassador or Event Coordinator.