Top concerns on Christmas Day at the Upstate New York Poison Center
FOR RELEASE: Dec. 27, 2019
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Holidays can be a busy time for our 16 Certified Specialists in Poison Information at the poison center. This Christmas our specialists handled several cases related to over-the counter medicines, household products and toys.
“We saw a lot of foreign object concerns,” said Christine Stork, clinical director of the poison center, “Be on the lookout for toys that come with small parts. Also, don't leave your alcohol out in the open. Put it up high where children cannot reach it or throw it away.”
Our highest number of cases on Christmas Day for kids five and younger:
- Over-the-counter products (analgesics (pain relievers), children's cold medicine, multivitamins, & others)
- Household products (silica gel, makeup, oils, deodorants, soap/bath soap, toothpaste, & others)
- Toys (mostly foreign objects)
As a reminder, always keep alcohol, including baking extracts, out of reach of children. Mistletoe berries, Holly Berry and Jerusalem Cherry can be poisonous. If they are used in decorating, make sure children and pets cannot reach it. Also, many children’s toys, watches, cameras, and games may contain button batteries (flat, coin-like batteries). If eaten, button batteries usually pass through the body in the stool, but sometimes they get stuck in the throat or stomach, which can cause blockage or serious burns.