Poison safety reminders for Halloween night
FOR RELEASE: October 26, 2021
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – Halloween is coming up this weekend and COVID-19 still poses some safety risks. The CDC says the safest way to enjoy the holidays this year is to get vaccinated, wear a mask inside if you are not vaccinated, avoid crowded & poorly ventilated spaces, and if you are sick, please stay home. We encourage you to visit homes of only those you know and when giving treats consider leaving treats available for children to take, in order to avoid contact.
If you do trick-or-treat or attend a party on Halloween night, the Upstate New York Poison Center reminds you to watch out for these potential poisonings and don’t forget to save our number, we are open 24/7 even on holidays: 1-800-222-1222!
- Check the label on all Halloween makeup.
- POISON SAFETY: Do not use old or expired makeup, especially if it is from last Halloween. Pay attention to any odors coming from the makeup.
- RISK: Most makeup is considered non-toxic but may cause irritation or an allergic reaction to a child’s skin. Test face paint on a small portion of skin first to be sure it is safe for use on faces, especially for children. Always avoid eye area.
- Make sure flashing jewelry with batteries used for costumes are not exposed.
- POISON SAFETY: This jewelry can contain tiny disc batteries. Make sure the battery compartment is secured shut. Use strong tape if necessary. Only buy jewelry that requires a screwdriver or tool to open the battery compartment. Don't insert or change batteries in front of children, they may see it as a toy.
- RISK: If swallowed, call 911 and go to an emergency room immediately. Button batteries can cause significant injury when ingested.
- Be careful with glow sticks.
- POISON SAFETY: While generally non-toxic, it is best to not chew or break open a glow stick.
- RISK: The exposed liquid may cause stinging or a burning sensation. Occasionally blisters can occur. Remember to wash out the mouth or eye with water for 15 minutes immediately after exposure. Most exposures do not result in significant injury.
- Keep all chocolate away from dogs.
- POISON SAFETY: Chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs and make them very sick. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous.
- RISK: Ingestion of even a small amount can cause mild vomiting and diarrhea. We can help guide you to the Pet Poison Helpline, if needed!