HEALTH EDUCATOR WEBINAR SERIES
This series is designed with health educators in mind. The webinars focus on current trends, information and updates from the Upstate New York Poison Center about the latest drugs of abuse, poison safety and most importantly educational materials available online for your use within our 54-county service area. All webinars are recorded and are available here for viewing at a later time.
Goals of the Health Educator Webinar Series:
- Increase baseline awareness of the services of the poison center.
- Increase utilization of educational programs and materials available through the poison center.
- Increase communication/interaction between health educators and the poison center.
Webinars By Year
December 14, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Learn the different types of holiday poisoning concerns for seniors.
- Review poison prevention tips for the senior population and for caregivers.
- Discuss key takeaways to keep seniors safe during the holiday season and celebrations.
October 19, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Review sample calls to the UNYPC involving seniors (i.e. inquiries on medication, nutritional supplements, cannabis, cleaning products, plants, etc.)
- Discuss strategies to help prevent poisonings in seniors
- Learn about the many resources available at the UNYPC for the senior population
June 14, 2023 ftom 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Gain understanding of cannabis exposures in pediatric population
- Review data from NY State Poison Centers
- View cannabis look alike products & discuss importance of safe storage
- Learn about resources from Office of Cannabis Management, NYS Children's Environmental Health Center, NY City Poison Center & Upstate NY Poison Center
May 4, 2023 from 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
-Describe the current epidemiology of teen cannabis use
-Review the effects of cannabis use on adolescents
-Identify the risks to children of secondary exposure to cannabis in the home through secondhand smoke and/or edibles
March 23rd from 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
-An overview of Office of Cannabis Management and their role in protecting public health and safety and educating the public
-Information about adult-use cannabis product packaging and the safe storage of cannabis products
Poison Prevention Training
December 8th from 1:00 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
-About the services of the Poison Center
-How to find and use the variety of educational materials located on the website for your audiences
-Answers to your specific questions related to your needs
September 22nd at 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
-Define what a nutritional supplement is and why people take them
-Address commonly used supplements
-Discuss concerns surrounding supplement use
March 24th at 10:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
- Cannabis products in NYS
- Unintentional pediatric cannabis exposures
- THC and CBD content in cannabis
What Ever Happened to Mary Jane - Part II: Prevention
- Cannabis laws
- The evolving cannabis movement
- Prevention tips for coalitions, parents & teens
In Plain Sight: Pediatric Poisonings:
- One Pill Can Kill
- Toxic Substances in the home
- What happens at the emergency department
- Age-related substances
- Safe storage and disposal
1. E-cigarettes and Vaping: Lee Livermore, Education Coordinator, provides important information on the growing trend of e-cigarettes and vaping:
2. Marijuana: Gail Banach, Director of Public Education and Communication, presents a webinar on marijuana:
3. Alternative Substances of Abuse and Misuse: Jeanna Marraffa, PharmD, DABAT, Assistant Clinical Director of the poison center, explains more on the epidemic of opioid use disorder and overdose:
4. Carbon Monoxide Poisoning: Jeanna Marraffa, PharmD, DABAT, Assistant Clinical Director of the poison center, explains carbon monoxide poisoning and what you need to know in the winter months and all year: