The majority of poisonings throughout the nation, involve children under the age of 5.
Children are naturally curious. It is their way of learning about the world around them. Unfortunately, children tend to put things see and touch in their mouths, even if it doesn't smell or taste good.
It is easier to dial 1-800-222-1222 than to "Google" your poison question. Call the poison center for an accurate response to your poison question.
Of the calls to the Poison Center
- 43% of calls involve children under the age of 5
- 78% do not require a visit to a doctor or hospital
- 15% are for information only
How Do Poisonings Happen?Most poisonings are unintentional. They often occur…
- When a product is in use
- When a product is taken out of the original container
- When the product looks, smells or tastes good to a child
Always have the number for the Upstate New York Poison Center handy. Take time to program your cell phone with the number now.
Poison Center = 1-800-222-1222
To help prevent poisonings before they happen download our Free Materials
Look-Alike Teaching Tools are available for purchase or on loan (free) for teachers, daycare providers and caregiver groups interested in poison prevention.