Research and Publications
Research Support and Activities
- 1R03AG065638-01 Landes (PI)/Turk (Consultant) 2020 – ongoing
National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Aging
Erroneous Coding of Developmental Disabilities as Underlying Cause of Death
Through a coding analysis process of US Multiple Cause-of-Death Mortality files for people identified with IDD, the effect of socioeconomic characteristics, type of co-morbid conditions, and state funding or other contexts on outcomes or erroneous coding will be determined.
- 1U19DD001218 McDermott/Turk/Carlin (Co-PIs) 2017 – ongoing
Center for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities cooperative agreement (the Disability Research and Dissemination Center [DRDC]), to expand NCBDDD’s capacity to support research, knowledge and research translation, and disseminate evidence-based practices related to birth defects and developmental and other disabilities; 2nd 5-year funding cycle (www.disabilityresearchcenter.com).
- 1U01DD001007 McDermott/Turk/Carlin (Co-PIs) 2012 – 2017
Center for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities cooperative agreement (the Disability Research and Dissemination Center [DRDC]), to expand NCBDDD’s capacity to support research and training, and to disseminate evidence-based practice related to birth defects and developmental and other disabilities; 1st 5-year funding cycle (www.disabilityresearchcenter.com).
- Unfunded Turk/Stewart 2017
Women’s Health and Disability focus groups, to understand effective/successful recruitment strategies for surveys re: pregnancy intention and fertility and how that is addressed in health care; preparation for future research proposals
- Subcontract Spina Bifida Association/CDC Morley (PI)/Turk (Co-I) 2015 – ongoing
Development and implementation of a survey for adults with spina bifida
Through CDC support, SBA has contracted with Drs. Morley/Turk in conjunction with University of Colorado to develop, implement, analyze and publish multi-staged survey to identify the health status and needs of adults with spina bifida.
- G090123/S2, Innovative Neurotronics, Inc. Turk/Logan (Co-PIs) 2011 – 2014
Randomized Trial of Innovative Neurotronics WalkAide Compared to Conventional AFO in Stroke
Multi-center clinical trial of WalkAide, a superficial nerve stimulator orthosis (FES) vs. brace, using functional scales tools, gait analysis, and standardized questionnaires to determine safety and effectiveness.
- Unfunded Turk/Logan (PI) completed 2010
Leg-length Differences and Pain in children with Cerebral Palsy
Examine use of full sole lift for the shorter limb in children with CP; monitor pain, gait analysis
- Unfunded Reiger (PI) completed 2007
Concussion Outcome in Children
Examine the symptoms experienced by children, ages 8-17, who have sustained a mild traumatic brain injury Role: Co-Investigator
- Northstar Neuroscience, Inc Hodge (PI) completed 2007
Everest V0267 – Safety and effectiveness of cortical stimulation in the treatment of upper extremity hemiparesis multicenter RCT, adult stroke survivors at least 4 mos from acute stroke, comparing implanted cortical stimulation + therapy to therapy only functional outcomes
- Unfunded (pilot) Ploutz-Snyder (PI) completed 2007
Muscle Spasticity Assessment through mfMRI
Assessment of mfMRI as a quantifying tool in spasticity measurement and effect of interventions;
- Unfunded Turk, Logan (PI) completed 2010
TES in Children with Disabilities
Assessment of the affect of threshold (sub-sensory) electrical stimulation with mfMRI, MRI, biodex, and functional measures
- Unfunded Unnithan (PI) completed 10/03
Partial Body Weight Support in Children with Cerebral Palsy
Assessment of harness effect in children with CP engaged in PBW;
- R04/CCR218783-02 Turk (PI) 9/29/01 – 6/04
Osteoporosis Among Women and Girls with Mobility Impairments
Epidemiologic study to identify the prevalence, risk factors, and developmental factors through DEXA scans and surveys. Role: PI (0.20 FTE)
- R04/CCR214128-01 Turk (PI) completed 3/2001
Health Promotion for Women with Disabilities in Mobility: Project W.E.A.L.T.H.
Determined the effectiveness of traditional health promotion strategies for women with disabilities and further identified the importance of social support for behavior changes.
- R04/CCR208516 Turk (PI) completed 1/31/97
Secondary Conditions in Cerebral Palsy
Defined secondary conditions and health issues in adults with CP
- NYS legislated funding, DOH Turk (PI) 1999-2001
Spasticity Management and Performance of Children and Adults with CP
Development of a regional tone management program for spasticity in CNY
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Landes SD, Turk MA, Wang AWWA (2020) COVID-19 outcomes among people with intellectual and developmental disability in California: Theiportance of type of residence and skilled nursing care needs. Disabil Health J. Epub ahead of print, December, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.101051
- Landes SD, Turk MA, Lauer E. (2020) Recommendations for Accurately Reporting Intellectual and Developmental Disability on Death Certificates. Am J Preven Med. Accepted June 30, 2020.
- Landes SD, Stevens JD, Turk MA. Cause of death in adults with intellectual disability in the United States. J Intellect Disabil Res. 2020 Oct 12. doi: 10.1111/jir.12790. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 33043518.
- French-Lawyer J, Siano S, Ioerger M, Young V, Turk MA. (2020). Health information seeking and people with disability: A systematic search and scoping review. Disabil Health J. Epub ahead of print. August, 2020. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100983
- Landes SD, Stevens JD, Turk MA (2020) Cause of death in adults with Down syndrome in the US. Disabil Health J. 13(4): 100947. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100947
- Landes SD, Turk MA, Formica MK, McDonald KE, Stevens JD. (2020) COVID-19 outcomes among people with intellectual and developmental disability living in residential group homes in New York State. Disabil Health J. 13(4):100969. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100969
- Turk MA, Landes SD, Formica MK, Goss KD (2020) Intellectual and developmental disability and COVID-19 case-fatality trends: TriNetX analysis. Disabil Health J.13(3):100942. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100942
- Klawonn M, Klamar K, Turk MA (2020). Trends in publications about cerebral palsy 1990 to 2020. J Pediatr Rehabil Med. 13(2):107-117. DOI: 3233/PRM-200697.
- Goss KD, Ioerger M, Young V, Flanders RM, Turk MA (2020) A systematic search and technical review of online information pertaining to medical care for people with disability. Disabil Health J. 13(2):100877. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.100877.
- Fremion E, Kanter D, and Turk MA. (2020) Guidelines for the Care of People with Spina Bifida: Health Promotion and Preventive Health Care Services. J Pediatr Rehabil Med.13(1): 1 – 11.
- Morley CP, Struwe S, Pratte MA Clayton GH, Wilson PE, . . .Turk MA. (2020) Survey of US adults with spina bifida. Disabil Health J. 13(2):100833. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.100833
- Ioerger M, Machia LV, Turk MA (2019) Self-other overlap: A unique predictor of willingness to work with people with disability as part of one's career. PLoS ONE 14(8): e0220722. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0220722
- Landes SD, Stevens JD, Turk MA. (2019) Heterogeneity in age at death for adults with developmental disability. J Intellec Disabil Research 63(12): 1482-87. doi: 10.1111/jir.12672
- Cyrus A, Royer J, Carroll D, Courtney-Long E, McDermott S, Turk, MA. (2019) Anti-hypertensive medication use and factors related to adherence among adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities. J Intellec Devel Disabil 124(3):248-262. doi: 10.1352/1944-7558-124.3.248
- Landes SD, Stevens JD, Turk MA. (2019) The obscuring effect of coding developmental disability as the underlying cause of death on mortality trends for adults with developmental disability: A cross-sectional study utilizing U.S. mortality data from 2012 to 2016. BMJ Open; bmjopen-2018-026614. doi: 10.1136/bmjopen-2018-026614
- Ioerger M, Flanders RM, French-Lawyer JR, Turk MA. (2019) Interventions to teach medical students about disability: A systematic search and review. Am J Phys Med Rehabil 98(7):577-599. doi: 1097/PHM.0000000000001154
- Ioerger M, Flanders RM, Goss KD, Turk MA. (2018) Developing a systematic search strategy related to people with disability: A brief report testing the utility of proposed disability search terms in a search about opioid use. Disabil Health J, 12(2):318-322. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2018.11.009
- Hong Y, Geraci M, Love B, Turk MA, McDermott S. (2019) Opioid prescription patterns for adults with longstanding disability and inflammatory conditions compared to other users, using a nationally representative sample. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 100(1):86-94. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2018.06.034
- Fortuna RJ, Holub A, Turk MA, Meccarello J, Davidson, PW. (2018) Health conditions, functional status, and healthcare utilization in adults with cerebral palsy. Fam Pract. 35(6):661-670. doi: 10.1093/fampra/cmy027
- Xu X, Ozturk OD, Turk MA, McDermott SW. (2018) Physical activity and disability: an analysis on how activity might lower medical expenditures. J Phys Activ Health. 15(8):564-571. doi: 1123/jpah.2017-0331
- Bethoux F, Rogers HL, Nolan KJ, Abrams GM, Annaswamy T, et al. (2016) Long-term follow-up to a randomized controlled trial comparing peroneal nerve functional electrical stimulation to an ankle foot orthosis for patients with chronic stroke. Neuorehabil and Neural Repair, on-line 2-4-2015 doi: 1177/1545968315570325
- Mann JR, Royer JA, Turk MA, McDermott S, Holland MM, et al. (2015) Inpatient and emergency room visits for adolescents and young adults with spina bifida living in South Carolina. PM&R; 7(5): 499-511.
- Bethoux F, Rogers HL, Abrams GM, Annaswamy T, Brandstater M, et al. (2014) The effects of peroneal nerve functional electrical stimulation versus ankle-foot orthosis in patients with chronic stroke: a randomized controlled trial. Neurorehabil and Neural Repair; 28(7):688-697.
- Turk MA & Mudumbi S. (2014) The United States’ response to the World Report on Disability. Am J Phys Med Rehabil, 93(1 Suppl 1):S27-35.
- Alexander MA, Turk, MA, Ayyangar, R. (2013) Jessie Wright, MD: Breaking new ground in pediatric physical medicine and rehabilitation. PM&R, 5(9):739-46.
- Turk MA, Logan LR, Ansoanuur F. (2013) Adults with childhood onset disabilities: A focused review of three conditions. Current Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Reports, 1(2): 72-87. DOI 10.1007/s40141-013-0012-3
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2011) Commentary from the APHA disability Section – Chair’s Forum: The myth and reality of disability prevalence: measuring disability for research and service. Disabil Health J. 4(1): 1-11.
- Turk MA. The 40th Zeiter Lectureship. (2010) PM&R evolution: Adaptation or extinction? PM&R, 2(6).
- Turk MA & Neufeld JA. (2009) Pediatric rehabilitation medicine subspecialty training. PM&R, 1(12): 1055-1057.
- Turk MA. (2009) Health, mortality and wellness issues in adults with cerebral palsy. Devel Med & Child Neurol, 51(Suppl4), 23-28.
- Henderson CM, Rosasco M, Robinson LM, Turk MA, Janicki M, Davidson P. (2009) Functional impairment severity as determinant of health status among older persons with intellectual disability and cerebral palsy, J Intellect Disabil Res, 53:11, 887-97.
- Dosa N, Ekrich M, Katz DA, Turk, MA, Liptak GS. (2007) Incidence, prevalence, and characteristics of fractures in children, adolescents, and adults with spina bifida. J of Spinal Cord Med. 30 (Suppl 1):S5-9.
- Ploutz-Snyder LL. Clark BC. Logan L. Turk M. (2006) Evaluation of spastic muscle in stroke survivors using magnetic resonance imaging and resistance to passive motion. Archives of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. 87(12):1636-42.
- Unnithan VB, Kenne EM, Logan L, Collier S, Turk MA. (2006) The effect of partial body weight support on the oxygen cost of walking in children and adolescents with spastic cerebral palsy. Pediatric Exercise Science; 17:11-21.
- Turk MA. Scandale J. Rosenbaum PF. Weber RJ. The health of women with cerebral palsy. Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. 12(1):153-68, 2001.
- Cocchiarella L, Turk MA, Anderson G. Improving the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment, JAMA, 2000; 283 (4): 532-533.
- Overeynder, JC & Turk, MA. Cerebral palsy and aging: A framework for promoting the health of older persons with cerebral palsy. Topics in Geriatric Rehabil, 1998; 13 (3): 19-24.
- Turk, MA, Geremski,CA, Rosenbaum, P, Weber, RJ. Health status of women with cerebral palsy. Archives of PM&R, 1997; 78: S10-17.
- Jackowski MM, Sturr JF, Taub HA, Turk MA. Photophobia in patients with traumatic brain injury: uses of light-filtering lenses to enhance contrast sensitivity and reading rate. J., 1996; 6: 193-201.
Publications, Non-Peer Reviewed
- Landes SD, Turk MA, McDonald KE, Sabatello M. Less worthy lives? We must prioritize people with intellectual and developmental disabilities in COVID-19 vaccine allocation. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University; December 10, 2020.
- Landes SD, Turk, MA, Formica MK, McDonald KE. COVID-19 trends among adults with intelledtual and developmental disabilities living in residential group homes in New York State through July 10, 2020. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University; September 16, 2020.
- Landes SD, Stevens JD, Turk MA. COVID-19 and Pneumonia: Increased Risk for Individuals with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities during the Pandemic. Syracuse, NY: Syracuse University; April 27, 2020.
- Turk, M.A., “Attaining and Retaining Mobility: Clinical Issues”, in Secondary Conditions in Spina Bifida and Cerebral Palsy Conference Proceedings, 1994.
- Turk, M.A., Machemer, R.H., “Cerebral Palsy in Adults Who Are Older”, in Aging and Developmental Disabilities - An In-Service Curriculum, Machemer, R.H., Overeynder, J.C. eds., University of Rochester, Rochester, New York, 1993.
- Turk, M.A., “Adults with Cerebral Palsy: Exercise and Fitness.” In The UCPA Networker, Vol. 7, No. 1, Fall 1993.
- Overeynder, J., Turk, M.A., Dalton, A., & Janicki, M.P. “I’m Worried About the Future: The Aging of Adults with Cerebral Palsy”, NYS Developmental Disabilities Planning Council Workgroup on Aging and Cerebral Palsy, Albany, New York, 1992.
- Brown, M.C., Bontempo, A., Turk, M.A.: “Secondary Consequences of Cerebral Palsy: Adults with CP in New York State”, NYS OMRDD Division of Policy, Planning, and Service Design, Albany, New York, 1991.
- Turk MA & Mitra M. (2020) ADA 30 and beyond: The urgent need for intersectional research. Disabil Health J, 13(4): 100984. doi: 10/1016/j.dhjo.2020.100984
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2020) The Covid-19 pandemic and people with disability. Disabil Health J, 13(3): 100944. doi: 10/1016/j.dhjo.2020.100944
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2020) Multiplicity of conditions and the cumulative effects for people with disability. Disabil Health J, 13(2):100905. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2020.100905
- McDermottS & Turk MA. (2020) A new year’s welcome. Disabil Health J, 13(1): 100854. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.100854
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2019) Community level socioeconomic status (SES) inclusion in disability research. Disabil Health J, 12(4):535-36. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.07.001
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2019) People with disability and health care insurance plans. Disabil Health J, 12(3):335-336. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.05.001
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2019) Support for reevaluation of the International Classification of functioning, disability, and health (ICF): A view from the US. Disabil Health J, 12(2):137-138. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2019.02.001
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2019) Accomplishments and challenges. Disabil Health J, 12(1):1-2. doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2018.10.009
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2018) Do electronic health records support the complex needs of people with disability? Disabil Health J. 11(4): 491-92. doi: 1016/j.dhjo.2018.08.001
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2018) Disability, stress, and health disparities. Disabil Health J. 11(3): 331-32. doi: 1016/j.dhjo.2018.05.008
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2018) Knowledge translation and the health of people with disability. Disabil Health J. 11(2): 169. doi: 1016/j.dhjo.2018.01.008
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2017) Thank you to our reviewers. Knowledge translation and the health of people with disability. Disabil Health J. 11(1): 1-2. doi: 1016/j.dhjo.2017.10.001
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2017) Sources of data about disability. Disabil Health J. 10(4):455-456, 2017. DOI: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2017.08.004
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2017) How to address continued health care differences and disparities among people with disability. Disabil Health J. 10(2):163-164, 2017. PMID:28407887 DOI: 1016/j.dhjo.2017.01.002
- McDermottS & Turk MA. (2017) The art of manuscript review – and manuscript development. Disabil Health J. 10(1):1-2, 2017. PMID: 27914523 DOI: 1016/j.dhjo.2016.10.009
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2016) Support for research about disability and health. Disabil Health J. 9(4):557-558, PMID:27637293 DOI:1016/j.dhjo.2016.07.003
- McDermottS & Turk MA. (2016) What to submit? Undervalued research results. Disabil Health J. 9(3):353-354, 2016. PMID:27286911 DOI:1016/j.dhjo.2016.05.001
- Turk MA. Inclusive emergency preparedness plans: An international need. Disabil Health J. 9(2): 181-182.
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2016) Does ICD-10 help unravel associations between disability and health? Disabil Health J. 9(1): 1-2, 2016.
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2015) 2015 – A year of anniversaries. Disabil Health J. 8(4).
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2015) What are the implications of the big data paradigm shift for disability and health? Disabil Health J. 8(3).
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2015) The challenge of reporting scientific excellence. Disabil Health J. 8(2).
- McDermott S & Turk MA. How can research lead to change in practice? (2015) Disabil Health J. 8(1).
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2014) Defining disability (Revisited). Disabil Health J, 2014. 7(4): 367-68. Doi: 10.1016/j.dhjo.2014.08.001
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2014) Disability language in the Disability and Health Journal. Disabil Health J. 7(3).
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2014) Toward an agenda of quality. Disabil Health J. 7(2).
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2014) Moving the research and science agenda forward. Disabil Health J. 7(1).
- Turk MA. (2013) Review research to support the health of people with disabilities. Disabil Health J. 6(4).
- Turk MA. (2013) The ACA and preventive health care services for people with disabilities. Disabil Health J. 6(2).
- Turk MA. (2012) World Report on Disability: What are the implications for the U.S.? Disabil and Health J. 5(3).
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2012) The challenges of the scholarship in the field of disability and health. Disabil and Health J. 5(2): 65-6.
- McDermott S & Turk MA. The myth and reality of disability prevalence: measuring disability for research and service. Disabil Health J, 2011. 4(1):1-5. doi: 10.1016/j.dgho.2010.06.002
- Turk MA. (2010) Has the ADA improved the health of people with disabilities? Disabil Health J. 3(4).
- McDermott S & Turk MA. (2009) From the editors: The emerging field of health and disability. Disabil Health J. 2 (1): 1-6.
- Turk MA & McDermott S. (2008) From the editors – inaugural issue of Disability and Health Journal. Disabil Health J., 1(1): 3-4.
- Turk MA & Mudrick N. Rehabilitation Interventions, Volume 6. In SAGE Reference Series on Disability: Key Issues and Future Directions. Albrecht GL (Series Editor). SAGE Publications Inc., 2013.
- Turk, MA (ed), Health and Function in Childhood Disability, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Clinics of North America. WB Saunders Company, Philadelphia, November, 2002.
- Krotoski, D., Nosek, M., Turk, MA (editors), The Health of Women with Physical Disabilities: Setting the Research Agenda for the 90s, Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1996.
- Turk, MA, Overeynder JC, Janicki MP (eds.). “Uncertain Future - Aging and Cerebral Palsy: Clinical Concerns.” Albany: New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council, 1995.
- Overeynder, J.C., Janicki, M.P., & Turk, M.A. (eds.). “Aging and Cerebral Palsy - Pathways to Successful Aging: The National Action Plan.” Albany: New York State Developmental Disabilities Planning Council, 1994.
- Turk MA, Romeiser-Logan L, Klamar K. “Lifetime and Continuum of Care Concepts Related to Childhood Onset Disability.” In Pediatric Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice. 6th Edition. Murphy KP, McMahon M, Houtrow A. (eds). Springer Publishing Company, New York, 2020.
- French-Lawyer J & Turk MA. “Please look Beyond my Disability.” In Bioethics, Public Health, and the Social Sciences for the Medical Professions. Caruso Brown AE, Hobart TR, Morrow CB. (eds) Springer Publishing, New York, 2019.
- Turk MA & Fortuna RJ. “Health Status of Adults with Cerebral Palsy.” In Physical Health of Adults with Intellectual Disabilities. Prasher VP & Janicki MP. (eds) Springer Publishing, New York, 2019.
- Martinez M, Kanter D, Turk, MA. “Health and Wellness for Children with Disabilities.” In Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. Kleigman R, Stanton B, St. Geme J, Schor N, Behrman R. (eds) Elsevier, Inc, New York, 2019.
- Weber RJ & Turk MA. “Nerve conduction principles in adults and children.” In Practical Electromyography, Pease W (eds), Williams & Wilkins, 2006; update in press 2017.
- Turk, MA, Van Gorter W, Romeiser-Logan, L: “Aging with Pediatric Onset Disability and Diseases.” In Pediatric Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice. 5th Edition. Alexander MA & Matthews DJ (eds). Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2015.
- Turk, MA, Carone D, Scandale J. “Education, training, and certification of care providers.” In Brain Injury Medicine: Principles and Practice. Zasler N, Katz D, Zafonte D. (eds) Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2012.
- Turk, MA: “Aging with an Early-Onset Disability.” In Common Problems in Rehabilitation Medicine: Pediatrics, Nelson, M (ed), Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2010.
- Turk, MA, Romeiser-Logan, L, Kanter, D: “Adults with Childhood Onset Disabilities.” In Pediatric Rehabilitation: Principles and Practice. Alexander MA & Matthews DJ (eds). Demos Medical Publishing, New York, 2009.
- Turk MA. “Secondary conditions and disability” in Disability in America: A New Look. Field MJ, Jette AM, Martin L (eds), The National Academies Press, Washington DC, 2006.
- Turk, MA & Weber RJ. “Adults with Congenital and Childhood Onset Disability Disorders” in Rehabilitation Medicine: Principles and Practice, Fourth Edition, J DeLisa, MD (ed), Lippincott-Raven Publishers, Philadelphia, 2005.
- Turk, MA (2004). Health care challenges for clinicians and clinical researchers. In Wellner’s Guide to the Care of Women with Disabilities, Wellner SL & Haseltine F (eds), Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Turk MA (2003). Pediatric rehabilitation medicine. In Handbook of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Second Edition, Garrison SJ (ed), Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.
- Mudrick, NR, Weber, RJ, Turk, MA. “Occupational Health Problems of Special Working Groups: Workers with Disabilities” in Public Health and Preventive Medicine, 15th Edition, Wallace (ed), York Production Services, York, PA, 2006.
- Turk, MA. “Practice Guidelines” in The Nonsurgical Management of Acute Low Back Pain, EG Gonzales & RS Materson (eds), Demos Vermande, New York, 1997.
- Enabling America: Assessing the Role of Rehabilitation Science and Engineering, EN Brandt Jr & AM Pope (eds), National Academy Press, Washington, DC, 1997.
- Turk, MA. “Outcomes Measurement: Developmental Disabilities Issues” in Outcomes Measurement Research in Rehabilitation: Setting the Agenda, M Fuhrer, PhD (ed), Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1996.
- Turk, MA. “The Impact of Disability on Fitness in Women: Musculoskeletal Issues” in The Health of Women with Physical Disabilities: Setting the Research Agenda for the 90s, Krotoski, D., Nosek, M., Turk, MA (editors), Paul H. Brookes Publishing Co., Baltimore, 1996; 407 - 418.
- Turk, M.A., “Pediatric Electrodiagnostic Medicine” in Electrodiagnostic Medicine, Dumitru, MD, (ed), Hanley & Belfus, Inc., Philadelphia, 1995.
- Turk, M.A., “Pediatric Electrodiagnosis” in Clinical Electrophysiology, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation: State of the Art Reviews, D. Dumitru, M.D., ed., Hanley and Belfus, Inc., Philadelphia, 1989.
- Turk, M.A., Pitner, S.E.: “Cerebral Palsy”, in Clinical Medicine - Selected Problems with Pathophysiologic Correlations, H.V. Barnes, M.D., ed., Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, 1988.
- Pitner, S.E., Turk, M.A.: “Neuromuscular Diseases”, in Clinical Medicine - Selected Problems with Pathophysiologic Correlations, H.V. Barnes, M.D., ed., Year Book Medical Publishers, Chicago, 1988.
Other Scholarly Activities
- Disability Integration Toolkit, various peer-reviewed instruction methods tools for medical education, 2017-present, http://www.upstate.edu/pmr/education/toolkit/
- AAMC Webinar Integrating Disability into Medical School Curriculum: Practical Strategies & Resources, 2017 https://www.aamc.org/professional-development/affinity-groups/gdi/webinars
- Practical Recommendations for Enhancing Care of Patients with Disability, 2017, self-paced 3- module CME/CEU accredited, http://www.upstate.edu/pmr/education/disability/
- Spina Bifida Healthcare Guidelines, lead author for Health Promotion and Preventive Healthcare Services, supported by SBAA, 2017-2018
- World Health Organization and World Bank sponsorship, World Report on Disability, author and writing committee, General Health Care chapter, 2009-2010, published 2011
- Institute of Medicine Committees: The Future of Disability in America, 2005 –2007, published 2007; Enabling America: Assessing Rehabilitation Science and Engineering, 1996-1997, published 1997