NYS Special Olympics
The PMR department collaborated with NYS Special Olympics to put on a MedFest – where Special Olympics athletes can complete physical exams that are required for participation. PMR residents and Upstate Medical students volunteered to conduct the exams with athletes, along with Matthew Grier DO, Assistant Professor Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, who oversaw the event.
This event is planned to continue on an annual basis, to support people with disability participating in physical activity and engaging with the community.
New York State Department of Health Disability and Health Program
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s National Center on Birth Defects and Developmental Disabilities funds 19 State Disability and Health Programs, with New York State being one of the original and continuing grantees. The goal of these programs is to develop and strengthen state internal capacity and health-related disability programs to:
- Improve knowledge and awareness about the usefulness and effectiveness of programmatic, policy, systems and environmental changes for people with select functional disability types (i.e., mobility limitations and/or ID), and
- Support programs to plan, implement, evaluate, and disseminate non-research activities aimed at promoting inclusion and accessibility and reducing health disparities between people with and without disabilities.
The Upstate Department of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation has been a collaborator with the NYS Disability and Health Program since its inception, serving on the Advisory Group and developing and disseminating national and regional meetings, products and education tools.
Report from National Conference on Preventing and Intervening in Violence Against
A Call to Action: Ending Crimes of Violence Against Children and Adults with Disabilities
Children and Adults with Disabilities 2002
PM&R's 2014 Brain Injury Symposium
Download the presentations from PM&R's 2014 Brain Injury Symposium:
- Ross Zafonte, DO - mTBI: Acute physiology, Definition, Long-term sequelae
- Jeffrey J. Bazarian, MD, MPH - Biomarkers of Brain Injury
- Neera Kapoor, OD, MS, FAAO, FCOVD-A - Evidence-Based Management of Vision Deficits Following Traumatic Brain Injury
- Diane Wrisley, PT, PhD, NCS - Dizziness and Balance Dysfunction in Traumatic Brain Injury
- Karl Klamar, MD, FAAPM - Acute Pediatric Concussion Management: Sideline to ED to Clinic
- Claudine Ward, MD - Exercise in Concussion and TBI