Goals of the SIRC
Goals of the SIRC include:
- To develop novel nanotrap therapies for sepsis and critical illness treatments in clinically-relevant animal models;
- To stimulate collaborative and translational research projects for multiple PI grant applications and center grant applications;
- To elucidate the mechanisms of inflammation control and precise immune intervention to prevent organ dysfunctions and disease progression in critical illness through multidisciplinary collaborations;
- To develop and demonstrate new therapeutic technologies for commercial development and technology transfer through cultivating startup and spin-off companies;
- To perfect protective ventilation strategies that will protect or treat the lung with or at high risk of sepsis-induced ALI;
- To initiate clinical trials at Upstate to test the nanotrap and protective ventilation approach for sepsis and critical illness treatments with a long term goal to reduce both mortality and morbidity of septic patients.