ENHANCE Services for Children in Foster Care has provided multidisciplinary health care services to children in foster care in Onondaga County (NY) since 1991. Housed in University Health Care Center, the ambulatory care facility for Upstate Medical University in Syracuse, NY, staff from the Department of Pediatrics and the Department of Psychiatry provide primary and comprehensive pediatric health care, developmental testing and mental health triage to 400 children seen in 2400 annual visits.
ENHANCE follows the recommendations of the American Academy of Pediatrics, New York State, and the Child Welfare League of America. Visits include:
- Initial visit within one week of placement. Call ENHANCE ASAP
- Comprehensive visit one month later with psychological assessment
- Placement visits to monitor the home situation
- Discharge visit prior to discharge from foster care
- Acute care and follow up visits
- Availability 24 hour, 7 day a week