Continuing Nursing Education
In order to maintain specialty certification status, registered nurses are required to complete continuing education annually. For ANCC certifications, 50% of the total contact hours needed for recertification must be provided by an accredited provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation. Advanced Practice Clinicians require 25 CME's every 2 years to meet recredentialing requirements here at SUNY. To maintain National Certification, CME requirements vary by certifying body and can be as high as 30 CME's per calendar year.
For a listing of CME credits you have earned, please submit an CME Transcript Request form.
To host a CE activity for contact hours, please visit Upstate's ICNE website.
Free Continuing Nursing Education Resources
- Med-Ed eLearning Instructions
- Med-Ed eLearning Opportunities
- Nursing Reference Center (EBSCO) Over 1300 free CEUs (App available for mobile devices
- ICNE Programs
- Geriatric Nursing
- Center for Advancement of Palliative Care
- Nursing Grand Rounds
- Nursing Grand Round Videos
- 2023 Nursing Grand Rounds Schedule
- Nursing Grand Rounds: Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota
- Medscape Nurses CE center
- Meniscus Education Institute (MEI): Most of these programs are available at no charge, made possible through unrestricted educational grants.
- CDC (MMWR): Check Expiration Dates - Weed through - A lot on Immunizations
- ELM Exchange Nursing Education Program: ELM (Education Legal Medicine) Nursing Continuing Education Program. ELM is accredited by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) for issuing contact hours. The ELM's online continuing education courses are based on actual malpractice cases. The courses help healthcare professionals understand error generation and how the actions of the involved healthcare providers may have changed the course for the patient's benefit. If you are a first time user, please review instructions for setting up an account
- AACN - Acute and Critical Care Website
- ANA Podcast Series
SUNY Upstate Grand Rounds
SUNY Upstate offers "Grand Rounds" which provide our nurses an excellent opportunity to learn complex medical information directly from Content Matter Experts. Participation in a Grand Round lecture provides 1.0 Continuing Education Credits. Please ensure, should you attend a Grand Round lecture that you sign in as well as keep a personal record of the event, so that necessary documentation can easily be provided.
The departments listed below provide monthly and/or bi-monthly Grand Round opportunities. Detailed information on Grand Rounds, including dates, times, locations, speakers and topics can be found on the Upstate Online website. Visit and click on "Calendar".
- Advanced Practice Clinician Council
- Medicine (Power Rounds)
AT A COST Continuing Nursing Education Resources: