Hosting an ICNE Event
Institute for Continuing Nursing Education
Upstate Medical University Institute for Continuing Nursing Education (ICNE) is approved with distinction as a provider of nursing continuing professional development by the Northeast Multistate Division Education Unit, an accredited approver of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Contact Hours can be awarded for the following activities:
The ANCC specifies that contact hours are awarded only when the learning activity consists of new and transferrable knowledge that "can be applied regardless of the employer of the activity participant" (ANCC, 2009, p. 5).
- Programs where nurses need the content to perform their jobs, however, the learning activity conveys new knowledge and skills that are transferrable to other job settings.
- Educational activity to introduce the use of new products/equipment may not, as not transferable- only general information on assessment, physiologic functioning may receive contact hours. No information given by product reps is eligible.
- Refresher courses designed to provide updated(new) transferable knowledge, skills, and attitudes for the provision of quality care would be eligible.
Process for Providing Contact Hours for a Program
All continuing nursing education activities must be planned collaboratively by at least one designated ICNE Nurse Planner and at least one other Registered Nurse planner. Each member of the planning group should represent at least one of the following areas:
- The relevant content expertise
- The target audience
- Responsibility for adherence to ANCC accreditation criteria
The program planning committee must have representation of each of these three (3) areas BEFORE any planning or advertising of that program commences. Please allow at least six (6) weeks for a program to be planned, including four (4) weeks in advance of the release of any advertising materials.
In accordance with ANCC guidelines, the ICNE has designated the following Upstate Medical University individuals as Nurse Planners:
For Workshops, Conferences and Hospital-Based Continuing Education:
Holly Briere, MSN, RN, OCN, Clinical Educator, Primary Nurse Planner
For Nursing Grand Rounds Programs:
Amy Rottger, MSN, RN, Clinical Educator, Nurse Planner