Upstate New York Poison Center issues warning after calls increase for marijuana use in children
“We worry about young children and the frightening reaction they can have to marijuana. These edibles can come in bright-colored packaging that looks just like popular candy products. Kids can’t always tell the difference, especially for those who don’t read yet,” says Dr. Christine Stork, clinical director of the Upstate New York Poison Center. “With the state legalizing possession of small amounts of marijuana for recreational use & coming up with a plan for future retail sales options, we are preparing to handle an even further influx of calls in the coming years.”
Many edibles look and taste just like candy, cookies and brownies. One “pot gummy” can be a dose, and many times people don’t stop at one, leading to an easy overdose, especially in children. Edible products have a higher concentration of marijuana. Because of a child’s smaller size and weight, symptoms can be more severe and usually require a trip to a healthcare facility. Marijuana use in children can cause low blood pressure, severe tiredness, trouble breathing, even coma.
The agency compared its data from 2011- 2020 for children 6 and under who swallowed marijuana (oils, the plant, edibles) and found a sharp increase starting in 2016 and an increase in more children being admitted to a healthcare facility.
Another rising concern for the poison center, is the introduction of the Delta-8 THC products. These products were recently banned in New York state. They can also cause severe problems, particularly in children.
The Upstate Poison Center is staffed by trained registered nurses and pharmacists who have completed training on how to handle a poisoning call for marijuana and Delta-8 THC and when to send someone to a healthcare facility.