Senior Medication Safety Fair is Nov. 14
SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Managing and safely taking medications are issues for many seniors. HealthLink Seminars, presented by Upstate Medical University, will host Passport to Health: Senior Medication Safety Fair on Monday, Nov. 14 from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Upstate University Hospital Community Campus. This program will feature a lecture from award-winning geriatrician Sharon Brangman, MD as well as an interactive health fair with experts on a variety of medication and safety issues for seniors.
"Medications play an important role in helping us manage chronic medical problems.,” Said Sharon Brangman, MD, Upstate’s chief of Geriatrics. “Medications can also have side effects that can mimic a variety of diseases and conditions. It is so important for older adults to get a regular review of all of the medications they are taking, both prescription and non-prescription, to make sure they are still doing what they are supposed to and are not causing any additional problems."
The interactive health care portion of the event will include representatives from a variety of Upstate departments including the Comprehensive Stroke Center, GEM (Geriatric Emergency Medicine) Care, Pharmacy, Upstate New York Poison Center, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Transitional Care and Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
These exhibitors in the health fair will give attendees the opportunity to:
- Turn in out of date or unused medications.
- Decipher abbreviations and instructions on prescription bottles with a pharmacist. Participants are advised to bring the bottles with them for the pharmacist to inspect.
- Get screened for cardiac risk and learn more about staying heart healthy.
- Ask questions about Medicare Part D, which is in Open Enrollment until Dec. 7.
- Check out new tools to help keep medications organized.
- Discuss ways to properly store, use and dispose of medications.
- Learn risk factors and signs of a stroke, as well as what to do if you suspect you or a loved one are suffering from a stroke.
- Ask questions about exercise and chat about ways to improve balance and avoid injuries.
The fair will be held in the cafeteria of Upstate University Hospital Community Campus, 4800 Broad Road, Syracuse. Light refreshments will be served and parking is provided. Please follow the signs for free parking.
Registration is required. Please call Upstate Connect to register at 315-464-8668.