Jim and Juli Boeheim to receive President's Award for Distinguished Service at Convocation Sept. 16
SYRACUSE, N.Y, -- Jim and Juli Boeheim will join the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund and Tops Friendly Markets as community members and organizations who will be honored at the Upstate Medical University's Fall Faculty Convocation Sept. 16.
The Boeheims will receive the President’s Award for Distinguished Service. Their support of Upstate through The Upstate Foundation spans 20 years. The Boeheims supported the $21.5 million Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital campaign, contributing a major gift and fulfilling a naming opportunity. Through their Jim & Juli Boeheim Foundation, they provide resources for pediatric cancer research. Jim Boeheim served as honorary-co-chair of the $17.1 million capital campaign to build Upstate Cancer Center and Juli Boeheim has been a member of the Upstate Foundation’s board of directors since 2002 and is a past co-chair of Friend in Deed, the Upstate Foundation’s annual fund for patients and families at Upstate University Hospital.
Carol M. Baldwin Breast Cancer Research Fund of CNY will receive the President’s Award for Exemplary Support of Biomedical Research. The Baldwin fund has awarded Upstate more than $2.75 million for breast cancer research since 2002. It sponsors two annual endowed lectureships focused on breast cancer developments, and awards multiple $50,000 grants each year to investigators conducting breast cancer research at Upstate.
TOPS Friendly Markets will receive the President’s Award for Excellence in Philanthropic Service, Corporate. Since 2004, TOPS has been a steadfast partner of the Upstate Foundation, raising more than $250,000 at the company’s 32 locations to support pediatric care at Upstate. As a Children’s Miracle Network Hospital partner, TOPS hosts an annual balloon campaign that raised nearly $40,000 in 2015. TOPS also contributes to the Foundation's annual Radiothon for Kids and Upstate Open, generously donating food products for the enjoyment of participants as part of their long time partnership.
Also being honored is Professor Emeritus Frederick Parker, who will receive the President’s Award for Excellence in Philanthropic Service, Individual. Throughout the years, he has assumed several leadership roles at The Upstate Foundation, including those for the capital campaigns for Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital and Upstate Cancer Center, and for the foundation’s Friend in Deed annual fund, which, he continues to contribute and support with his wife Ginny. He has served as a member of the foundation’s board of directors for 14 years, serving as an officer, including chair and serving on numerous committees.
Seventeen members of Upstate’s faculty and staff will also receive President’s or Chancellor’s awards for exemplary service to Upstate.
A complete list of awards and honors to be presented at Convocation is below:
- SUNY Distinguished Service Professor Sharon A. Brangman, MD, Medicine
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Scholarship and Creative Activities Steven L. Youngentob, PhD, Psychiatry, Neuroscience and Physiology
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching Michael L. Vertino, MD, Neurology
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service Vincent E. Frechette, MD, Medicine
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service Susan Fiore Shaw, MSN, PNP, ANP, Palliative Care Service
- Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Classified Service Michele Henderson, Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development Danielle Porter, RN, Nursing, Community Campus
- President’s Award for Advancement of Affirmative Action Suzanne Badman, MLIS, RN, Patient Education and Interpreter Services
- President’s Award for Excellence in Professional Service Stacy Mehlek, Faculty Affairs and Faculty Development
- President’s Award for Excellence in Faculty Service Ronald D. Saletsky, PhD, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- President’s Award for Excellence in Teaching Binghamton Campus: Yahia M. Lodi, MD, FAHA, FANA, Neurology College of Health Professions: Kevin M. Neville, PT, MS, CCS, Physical Therapy Education College of Medicine, Clinical Department: Eugene A. Kaplan, MD, Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
- President’s Award for Outstanding Voluntary Faculty Binghamton Campus: Micah Lissy, MD, MS, PT, ATC, CSCS, UHS Binghamton General Hospital College of Health Professions: Ron Angona, MS, CCP, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester College of Nursing: Todd Olrich, RN, MSN, Crouse Hospital
- Academy of Upstate Educators Pam Youngs-Maher, MEd, Educational Communications/IMT