Upstate Medical University opens new residence hall in downtown Syracuse
The transformation provides the university with much-needed space for students as it seeks to increase enrollment and offers the downtown area another new development.
The tower features 139 spacious apartments, including one-bedroom, two-bedroom and four-bedroom units. Amenities include wireless internet access, air conditioning, laundry, fitness room, free cable television and utilities and dishwasher. The building also will feature several conference rooms for group study. The one- and two-bedroom units have a single private bathroom; the four-bedroom suite has two private baths and two walk-in storage closets. All units come fully furnished.
Formerly known as Townsend Tower, Upstate changed the name to Geneva Tower in a nod to Upstate’s earliest predecessor, Geneva Medical College, which was founded in 1834 and located in Geneva N.Y.
Upstate acquired the tower from the Empire State Development Corp. two years ago. The building was vacant and in need of repairs when Upstate took it over.
A significant portion of the $28 million renovation includes upgrades to the building’s windows, lighting and insulation, as well as lighting, heating, air conditioning and ventilation systems. Upstate officials say this work will enable the building to receive LEED certification at the Silver Level by the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, an internationally recognized green building certification system.
Upstate officials say more than 150 people were employed over the past year and half on the tower renovation project.
Hueber-Breuer of Syracuse is the project’s construction manager.
This renovation is just one of Upstate numerous development projects, including its new Upstate Cancer Center, the addition to the Institute for Human Performance, the CNY Biotech Accelerator and the development of Loguen’s Crossing, the former Kennedy Square site.
Upstate is the area’s largest employer with about 9,000 employees and enrolls more than 1,500 students.