Upstate Announcements for July 11, 2023
Donate Life Night at Syracuse Mets game is this Friday
Donate Life Night with the Syracuse Mets is Friday, July 14. Gates open at 5:30 p.m.; game starts at 6:35 p.m. Upstate staff may receive up to four free tickets. For more information and to receive tickets, contact Michelle Lonkey at 315-464-6128 firstname.lastname@example.org. Community staff should contact Tracey Wilcox at 315-492-5546 email@example.com.
Upstate’s Office of Volunteer Programs seeks shadow preceptors
Upstate’s Office of Volunteer Programs seeks health care workers who are open to allowing students and community members to shadow them, providing valuable career exploration experiences. Volunteer Programs will handle necessary paperwork, while staff simply offer expertise. To become a shadow preceptor, visit: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GZT3LSL. Questions? Email Kristin Bruce at BruceK@Upstate.edu.
Advanced Practice Grand Rounds is July 11
Loretta Harris & Alyssa Kopper will present Institutional Compliance, Privacy and Ethics July 11 from noon to 1 p.m. To join, visit: https://upstate.webex.com/upstate/j.php?MTID=m70f0eb57b0a934de3b39ef1913cae10b. For more information, email Jessica Dow at DowJ@Upstate.edu. CME credit will be available for participants.
Easy for You is July 11
Easy for You, Upstate's tobacco treatment program, will be held Tuesday, July 11 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in C3068 Upstate Cancer Center. Everyone with an Upstate ID are welcome to receive help quitting tobacco, chew, and vape. Free nicotine replacement therapy is available. For more information contact Theresa Hankin, or Carolyn Walczyk at 315-464-3519 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Retirement reception for Pam Youngs-Maher is July 12
A retirement reception for Pam Youngs-Maher, Educational Communications, will be held Wednesday, July 12 from 4 to 6 p.m. in the atrium of Setnor. Pam has served as the director of eLearning for Upstate since 2009. The Upstate community is welcome.
HealthLink on stress management is July 12
Stress Management: Healthy Well-Being for Parents will be held July 12 at 5:30 p.m. at HealthLink/Oasis, 6333 Carrier Parkway, E. Syracuse. The seminar will also be available online via Zoom (link below). Annemarie Cristino, LCSW, CEAP, Upstate’s Employee Assistance Program coordinator, will present on understanding stress, how stress impacts our lives, and tips to manage stress. For those attending in-person, a monthly support group for parents will follow. To register for the in-person and online session, visit: https://upstate.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJApcOmuqzsiHdKUzERYGAtgywFNyPI0w-fh
Blood drives are July 13, 14 and 24
Blood drives will be held July 13 from noon to 5 p.m. in the atrium of Setnor Hall, July 14 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the Performance Center at Upstate Golisano, and July 24 from noon to 5 p.m. in the cafeteria at Community. To schedule an appointment, visit www.Upstate.edu/blood.
HealthLink seminar with PAWS of CNY on pet therapy is July 18
In collaboration with PAWS of CNY, learn how you and your pet may be able to offer pet-assisted wellness services in Central New York at a HealthLink session July 18 at 2 p.m. at the HealthLink/Oasis Center, 6333 Carrier Parkway, E. Syracuse. Learn the factors that determine if a dog has the potential to be a therapy dog, how a dog and its handler are certified with PAWS, and what to expect after being certified as a team member. Participants will meet one of Upstate’s hospital therapy dogs. No registration required.
Participants sought for SPROUT pilot project meeting July 24
The SPROUT pilot project seeks women of color who are currently pregnant or have given birth within the past five years to participate in a one-hour discussion on the barriers and facilitators of exercising during pregnancy. The focus group will meet July 24 at 6 p.m. in room 120 at the Campus Activities Building. Location will be forthcoming. Participants will receive $100 in appreciation for their time. For more information or to sign up, contact Danielle Hoose at email@example.com or 315-481-6013.
Patient privacy reminder
Upstate has a legal and ethical obligation to maintain the public trust and ensure that all staff respect patient privacy. Staff are prohibited from doing any of the following without a work-related reason: inappropriately accessing a patient's medical record, approaching or trying to gain access to a patient, trying to gain access to a treatment area, discussing a patient’s care with anyone outside of the care team. A work-related reason is one that pertains to treatment, payment or operations. Audits are performed regularly. Failure to adhere to Upstate's privacy policies and the law will result in appropriate action being taken, up to and including termination of employment. For more information regarding your obligations under Upstate’s policies, call Loretta Harris, Upstate’s Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer, at 315-464-4789.
CNY Biotech Accelerator event space for rent
The CNY Biotech Accelerator’s event space is available to rent and includes A/V equipment and a dedicated team to assist with event planning and setup. For more information on the space, visit: https://cnybac.com/rentable-event-space/. For more information and assistance, contact Stephanie Carbone at 315-464-9288 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rheumatology researcher seeks research volunteers
Upstate Rheumatology researcher Christian Geier, MD, seeks healthy volunteers interested in donating a small amount of blood for research work. Donors will be compensated $30 for time. For more information and to volunteer, email GeierC@Upstate.edu.
Pathway to Wellness events for July
To join all Pathway to Wellness events, use the following link (unless otherwise noted in an entry): https://upstate.webex.com/meet/brisks.
- Clear the air with Pathway to Wellness July 11 at 11 a.m. Help to beautify the Upstate campus and tell everyone about nicotine replacement comfort kits. Meet in the lobby of Upstate Cancer Center. For more information, email Jackson Tarr at TarrJ@Upstate.edu.
- Well NYS Everyday webinar is July 12 from noon to 12:30 p.m. Valerie Ryan, a Well NYS Everyday ambassador, will discuss hiking in New York and exploring the great outdoors. To register, visit: https://oer.ny.gov/wellnys-everyday-webinars.
- First-time home buyer seminar is July 12 from 4:30 to 5:30 p.m. The State of New York Mortgage Agency (SONYMA) will explain low down payment mortgages for first-time homebuyers and down payment assistance up to $15,000.
- Chair yoga is July 13 at noon. Join for a gentle routine that can be performed while seated comfortably.
- Walk with Dr. Kohman July 24 at noon. Meet by the main entrance of Upstate University Hospital, indoors if bad weather.
- Walk with Beth Sellers July 24 at noon at Community. Meet at the main entrance by the gift shop at Community. Rain or shine.
- Recognizing signs and symptoms of addiction in yourself and others is July 25 at noon for 20 minutes. Janet Price-Kurta, Statewide Peer Assistance for Nurses (SPAN), will discuss what addition is, how to recognize addiction, and where to seek help. Open to everyone with an Upstate ID.
- Volunteers sought for watering and weeding the Upstate community garden. The garden crops help support Upstate’s student pantry. For more information and to volunteer, email Anna Maria Hinman at HinmanA@Upstate.edu.
Perk Up Starbucks extends hours
Perk Up Starbucks, located in the main lobby of Upstate University Hospital, is now open Monday through Friday from 6:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.
The Informed Patient podcast
The Informed Patient podcast recently featured interviews on safe exercising in hot weather, reviewing new mammography recommendations and telling how a type of skin cancer can be prevented.
- Carol Sames, PhD, provides warm-weather workout advice and discusses rhabdomyolysis. (Also on YouTube.)
- Ravi Adhikary, MD, goes over new mammography recommendations that urge women to begin breast cancer screening test starting at age 40. (Also on YouTube.)
- Daniel Thomas, MD, talks about diagnosing, treating and preventing melanoma. (Also on YouTube.)
The Informed Patient podcast and HealthLink on Air radio show are produced by Upstate Marketing and University Communications. The Informed Patient interviews are available through various podcast platforms, including YouTube. HealthLink on Air is broadcast on WRVO Public Media at 6 a.m. Sundays. Audio and transcripts of the podcasts and the radio shows are also available at upstate.edu/informed.