Upstate Announcements for January 20, 2023
Flower sale is open for orders now
Submit orders by Jan. 27
Flowers are available to purchase for $2.50 each, to be delivered to any Upstate employee during Valentine’s Day week. Proceeds support the Nursing Recognition Fund, held at the Upstate Foundation. To purchase a flower for an Upstate employee, visit https://fundraise.givesmart.com/form/fBcEow?vid=wr77w now through Jan. 27 at noon. For more information, email Morgan Gaffney at GaffneyM@Upstate.edu.
Team Upstate seeks shaves for St. Baldrick’s Day
Team Upstate seeks shavees to help raise money for the St. Baldrick's Foundation to fund pediatric oncology research. The event will be held March 19 at the Spinning Wheel (7384 Thompson Rd, North Syracuse, NY). To join the team or to donate, visit: https://www.stbaldricks.org/teams/TeamUpstate. Individuals who join before Feb. 28 will receive a Team Upstate shirt. Instructions on where to meet will be emailed to registered participants a week prior. For more information email Abigail Venskus at VenskusA@Upstate.edu.
Global Health seeks participants for Dengue Fever clinical trial
Upstate Global Health seeks healthy participants between the ages of 18 and 55 with flexible schedules to participate in a Dengue Fever clinical trial. Compensation is $5400 for completing the study. For more information, email Trials@Upstate.edu or call 315-464-9869.
Nominations sought for Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Classified Service
Nominations are sought for the 2022-2023 Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Classified Service. This award recognizes state classified service employees represented by CSEA, PEF and PBA of NYS for excellence and superior service. Nominations are due Feb. 1 and should be sent to Megan Chase in Human Resources via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For nomination form and additional information visit:https://www.upstate.edu/pdl/intra/services/upstate_stars/chancellor-award.php
NYS Deferred Comp webinars are Jan. 24, 26, 27
Mark Wallace from New York State Deferred Comp will hold three informational webinars. The schedule is as follows:
- Jan. 24 at noon—Enrollment in NYSDCP, saving for retirement with the plan
- Jan. 26 at noon—NYSDC, NYS Pension System, retirement, taxes
- Jan. 27 at noon—Pre-retirement meeting for those approaching retirement
For more information and to register, visit the HR Benefits page, look for the Announcements section, and find headline NYS Deferred Compensation Plan Webinars.
Pediatric Emergency Medicine Assembly is Jan. 25
The 20th annual Pediatric Emergency Medicine Assembly will be held Jan. 25 from 1 to 5 p.m. at the Collegian Hotel, Syracuse. The event—hosted by Upstate’s Emergency Medicine department—will feature topics including mental health, eating disorders, and gun violence. To register, visit: https://www.eventsquid.com/event/17528. For more information, call Rose More at 315-464-6197.
HealthLink seminar on pelvic floor rehab for men is Jan. 26
Jillian Cardinali, PT, DPT, and Tania Gardner, PT, DPT, Upstate Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, will discuss pelvic floor anatomy, function, and prostate health Jan. 26 at 5 p.m. online and at HealthLink/Oasis (6333 NY Route 298, East Syracuse). The experts will discuss how physical therapy can improve function of the male pelvic floor and assist with possible side effects of prostate surgery and treatment. Registration is required for online and in-person participation, here: https://upstate.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJIrcumorjMjHdd9iJgo_py_H57-OHGbsAMU.
Questions? Call Amy Allen at 315-464-4708.
World Cancer Day is Feb. 4
In recognition of World Cancer Day, Upstate Cancer Center will host information tables Saturday, Feb 4 from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Salt City Market. Stop by to get valuable information about cancer prevention, education, screening and treatment. Representatives from the following programs will be on-hand: Upstate Cancer Center, Upstate Mammovan, She Matters, We Matter, You Matter and beneath the surFACE.
Valentine Ball for All is Feb. 8
Valentine Ball for All will be held Feb. 8 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Destiny USA Embassy Suites. The Valentine Ball for All is hosted by the Upstate Foundation and Salt City Warriors, and replaces the Father/Daughter Valentine Ball. The event is open to all children ages 3 and up, and their parent(s), guardian(s), or caregiver(s). Entertainment, special guests, face painting, photo booths, crafts, gifts, and more will be featured.
Tickets are $40 for each adult and $15 for each child. Proceeds benefit pediatric mental health services at Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital. Registration is required and space is limited. For more information and to register, visit: https://www.upstatefoundation.org/ValentineBall.
Retailers support Upstate Golisano and you can help
- DiBella’s Subs: Purchase a kids meal at DiBella’s Subs between now and Feb. 14 and .50 will be donated to Upstate Golisano Children’s Hospital.
- Burger King: Now through Feb. 14, visit a participating Burger King in Syracuse, Binghamton or Watertown and receive $6 worth of Burger King coupons for $1. Valentine coupons may be redeemed between Feb. 14 and March 31.
Pathway to Wellness announcements
- 10 minutes of humor is Jan. 23 at 10 a.m. Join here: https://upstate.webex.com/meet/brisks.
- Easy for You is Tuesday, Feb. 14 from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. in 7335B Upstate University Hospital. Those with an Upstate ID are welcome to receive help quitting tobacco, chew, and vape. Free nicotine replacement therapy is available. For more information, contact Theresa Hankin or Carolyn Walczyk at 315-464-3519 or email@example.com.
- American Heart Association Check it Challenge begins in February. Everyone interested in committing to checking your blood pressure and receiving education via email on improving your cardiovascular system is welcome to email firstname.lastname@example.org. An anonymous google sheet twill be used to track blood pressure and educational materials will arrive weekly via email. The program runs through May.
- Mindful Tuesdays: Annemarie Cristino, Upstate EAP coordinator, hosts Mindful Tuesdays each Tuesday at 11 a.m. for 15 minutes via WebEx. Cristino offers mindfulness meditation instruction and information. Join here: https://upstate.webex.com/meet/CristinA.
Questions about Pathway to Wellness announcements and events? Email BriskS@Upstate.edu.
Advocates Grant Funding Program seeks applicants
The Advocates Grant Funding Program for 2023-2024 is accepting applications for funding now through Feb. 27 at noon. Awards will be announced in April. Funds for grants awarded will be disbursed between June 1, 2023 and May 31, 2024. All proposals should align with Advocates for Upstate’s mission to improve patient care and satisfaction, support medical education, and enhance community health. Applications for grants are accepted from departments across the Upstate Medical University campuses and must be for items and/or services NOT funded through department budgets. Please read the guidelines before submitting proposals. For more information, please contact Administrative Coordinator Jonathan Adler at 315-464-5610 or email@example.com.
The Informed Patient podcast
The Informed Patient features interviews on caring for aging parents, undergoing a prophylactic mastectomy, and treating pediatric inflammatory bowel disease.
- Geriatrics chief Sharon Brangman, MD, talks about ways to keep aging parents in their own home and when they might need other options.
- Breast surgeon Lisa Lai, MD, describes about prophylactic mastectomies and the reasons behind this surgery.
- Pediatric gastroenterologist Prateek Wali, MD, tells how teamwork and pooled data have helped improve treatment of pediatric IBD, which can mean Crohn’s disease or ulcerative colitis.
The Informed Patient podcast and HealthLink on Air radio show are produced by Upstate Marketing and University Communications. The Informed Patient interviews are available through various podcast platforms, and HealthLink on Air is broadcast on WRVO Public Media at 6 a.m. Sundays. Audio and transcripts of the podcasts and the radio shows are also available at www.upstate.edu/informed.
To suggest an Upstate expert or topic, email Amber Smith at SmithAmb@Upstate.edu.