In order to maintain security for the SUNY Upstate Medical University campus, privacy of protected health information, and the appropriate Employee Health clearance, visitors to University Hospital sites of service must be properly logged according to the policy of Visiting Health Care Providers, which covers individuals who are visiting the campus for the purpose of learning, training, observing, or delivering direct or indirect patient care for a brief period of time. Observership Privileges must be obtained for Visiting Health Care Providers through the Medical Staff Office. Observers will not be granted privileges for direct patient care.
Applications (see links below) and all supporting documents (as noted on the application) must be received 8 weeks prior to the requested start date to allow for processing. Please indicate on the application the preferred rotations and dates available. Our rotations are two weeks in length and can be renewed for additional weeks with the consent of the Observership Coordinator, the Supervising Physician, and the Chair of the Department of Neurology.
Multiple rotations are permitted for a maximum of eight total weeks per application. Each rotation must be two weeks in duration, and must fit within the dates available. There is a $150.00 (US Funds) application fee which is non-refundable. A Certified Check or Money Order needs to accompany the application and should be made payable to the Neurology Medical Service Group, LLP. Personal Checks will not be accepted.
The cost for each 2 week rotation is $1,000. Upon acceptance, and based on number of total weeks of approved rotation, payment must be received and processed prior to the first day of the rotation. You will be notified, in writing, of either acceptance or denial of your application within 4 weeks of initial receipt. You may ask questions or check on the status of your application after four weeks have passed by emailing the Neurology Observership coordinator at NeurObs@upstate.edu
- Applicants must have TAKEN and PASSED (on first attempt) Step 1 with a minimum score of 220
- Applicants must haveTAKEN and PASSED (on first attempt) Step 2 CK with a minimum score of 230
- Applicants must have TAKEN and PASSED (on first attempt) Step 2 CS
- Applicants must submit a copy of their Medical School Transcript
- Applicants must submit a copy of their valid ECFMG Certificate
- Applicants must provide a Letter of Reference from someone they worked with in a US clinical environment
Department of Neurology Application Information
Medical Staff Application Information
(To be completed if application is approved)
- Visiting Health Care Provider (Observer Only)
- Certificate of Health Form
- Downtown Campus Orientation Guide & Completion Certificate
- HIPPA Privacy Rule Education & Completion Certificate
All costs associated with the application process (visa processing, travel, health clearance, etc) will be the sole responsibility of the applicant. Upstate Medical University is in no way responsible for processing costs.