Next StepsUpstate Neurology | Movement Disorders
Parkinson's Disease is treated at Upstate Neurology's Movement Disorders Clinic.
About Parkinson's Disease
- Main Page
- Risk Factors
- Reducing Your Risk
- Talking to Your Doctor
- Resource Guide
Parkinson disease is a movement disorder. It gets worse over time. The main symptoms are shaking, stiffness, balance problems, and slowed movements.
|The Central Nervous System|
|Copyright © 2002 Nucleus Communications, Inc. All rights reserved.|
Parkinson disease happens when there is a breakdown of nerve cells in part of the brain. It is not known why this happens. It may be due to genes, the environment, or both. The nerve cells cannot make dopamine, a chemical that helps regulate movement.
- Homayoun H. Parkinson Disease. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Sep 4;169(5):ITC33-ITC48.
- Parkinson disease. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/parkinson-disease. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Parkinson disease. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/neurologic-disorders/movement-and-cerebellar-disorders/parkinson-disease. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Parkinson's disease. American Association of Neurological Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.aans.org/en/Patients/Neurosurgical-Conditions-and-Treatments/Parkinsons-Disease. Accessed April 4, 2022.
- Parkinson's disease information page. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: https://www.ninds.nih.gov/Disorders/All-Disorders/Parkinsons-Disease-Information-Page. Accessed April 4, 2022.