How to Apply
Students Applying for Entrance to the MD/MPH Program
Students need to have completed all of the requirements for admission to the College of Medicine. Prospective applicants will submit their AMCAS application indicating the combined MD/MPH degree option and follow the regular AMCAS application process outlined on the College of Medicine admissions homepage.
Once SUNY Upstate has received a verified AMCAS MD/MPH application, the applicant will receive instructions on how to complete our online supplemental application which will include a brief MPH essay.
Applicants will also be asked to submit two additional letters of recommendations from people familiar with their interest in public health. These additional letters should be on letterhead, signed, and include your full name and AMCAS ID number. Letter writers may upload letters directly to AMCAS through the AMCAS Letter Writer Application Service https://services.aamc.org/letterwriter/, or can submit their letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If emailed, the letter needs to be sent directly from the recommender and be sent from a professional or institutional email address.
- Deadline to apply to AMCAS: October 15th
- Deadline for a complete application: December 1st
Current Upstate MD Students Applying to the MD/MPH Program
- Go to http://www.upstate.edu/banner-apply
- Once logged in, click on NEWUnder "For Current Upstate Students Only:" you will find "MD/MPH Internal"
- Submit a screen shot of your current Upstate transcript/gradesfrom MyUpstate to email@example.com
- Two Letters of Recommendationsent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Public Health Essay:Choose and describe a public health issue/problem in which you have an interest and present at least one possible approach to addressing that issue/problem. The essay should be no more than 750 words.
- Statement of Intent: Your personal statement provides us with a more complete picture of each applicant and provides an opportunity for you to present yourself as an individual with unique strengths and skills. We will be looking at your problem-solving and writing skills as well as your interest in Public Health. You should address your career goals and any health-related experience as it applies to any public health experience you may have had (note: you do not have to have public health experience to be considered for this program.)
- These essays can be sent via email to email@example.com
- The deadline for current MD students who wish to apply is April 30th