Certificate of Public Health Program
SOPHAS Application - Deadline: July 1st (Global Health and Translational Science: April 1st) SUNY Upstate Supplemental Application - Deadline: July 15th (Global Health and Translational Science: April 15th)
Who Should Apply?
The Program expects that the certificate students will be drawn from regional public and non-governmental agencies providing public health services. These students are typically working professionals with relevant experience in a health/public health-related field, will be able to pursue the certificate while continuing their employment. The program recognizes the need to recruit and train a diverse public health workforce in order to better serve the many communities in Central New York and throughout the state.
International Students: The Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health is not an option for international study. International students should apply to the Master of Public Health Degree.
- Minimum GPAs preferred at or above a 3.0 (4.0 scale)
- Baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution
- Successful completion of both the SOPHAS application and the SUNY Upstate Supplemental Application
- Within the SOPHAS Application, two essays are required:
- A personal statement of career goals and any experience as it applies to public health
- One public health essay; described in the application
- Two letters of recommendation from individuals who know you in an academic or professional capacity
- This does not include personal friends and family
- Official transcripts from all previous postsecondary courses
- College level biology course
- College level statistics course
How to Apply
Upstate Public Health Master of Public Health applicants must submit both the Central Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS) application and an Upstate application:
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official College Transcripts
- Personal Statement
- Public Health Essay
2. Upstate Supplemental ApplicationOnce your application is received from the Central Application Service for Public Health (SOPHAS), we will email you a Login ID and PIN that will allow you to access our Secondary Application. Please do not create an account on your own from our Admissions Login page, as that will not allow you to access the Secondary Application. The Secondary Application must be submitted to Upstate Medical University no later than July 1. This application is free to complete!
- The program reserves the right to request interviews.
- Additional information may be requested based on individual situations.
- It is the responsibility of each student to confirm that a completed application is on file in the office of Student Admissions.
Current Upstate Medical Residents applying to the Public Health Certificate Program
- Complete the FREE SUNY Upstate Internal Application
- Once logged in, click on NEW - Create a new Application
- Under the "For Current Upstate Students Only" dropdown, you will find "Certificate of Advanced Study in Public Health for Residents-Internal"
- To process your application, we will need:
- Official transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate schools attended. As Residents of Upstate Medical University, your official transcripts can be requested from the Graduate Medical Education (GME) Office free of charge to be sent directly to Student Admissions electronically to email@example.com. Please contact the GME office directly to make this request.
- One letter of Recommendation from your current residency program director to be sent directly to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to the admissions office at: SUNY Upstate, 766 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, NY 13210, Attn: Student Admissions.
The letter should:
- Acknowledge that the residency director knows you are applying for this certificate program,
- Describe the commitment of the director to your success in the certificate program, and
- Endorse your suitability for graduate study in public health.
- A CV (Curriculum Vitae) or Resume