Host a Mobile Screening Event
Interested in hosting a mobile screening mammography clinic at your organization or place of business? If so, here are a few things to keep in mind in order to host the mobile mammography unit.
- Space requirements: Our mobile unit is 45 feet long. We will need the equivalent of 9-11 parking spots in length, and 2 parking spots in width, on a hard, level space with no overhanging branches above us.
- Power source: If there is the ability for the unit to hook to a power source, that would be optimal but it is not required.
- The Mobile unit is for screening only. A woman who is having problems with their breasts (ie: lump found, discharge, etc.), should see their doctor prior to scheduling a mammogram. It may be more appropriate for them to have a diagnostic mammogram at a fixed facility.
- Age requirement: To be eligible for screening on the mobile unit, women must be 40 years old or older, and must not have had a mammogram in the last year (366 days)*
- A Registered Nurse is available. A doctor's order is needed for a mammogram. For women without a healthcare provider, a registered nurse will be available to do a breast exam and obtain an order for the mammogram.
- Insurance: Most insurance companies cover screening mammography, and in New York State, most should also cover 3D imaging. It is highly recommended that women contact their insurance to verify their coverage.
- Women without insurance: For women who do not have insurance, the Cancer Services Program is available to pay for breast exams and mammograms for uninsured women ages 40 to 64. They can be reached at 1-866-442-2262.
- Pre-registration: If you would like, our pre-registration staff can come out about 3 weeks prior to your event to schedule and pre register women.
For more information on hosting a mobile mammography program at your site, contact Program Manager Wendy Hunt at 315-492-3353 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Most insurances (Medicare included) require at least 366 days between screening mammograms.