The Department of Medicine provides various benefits and educational resources for each resident. Residents receive the standard Upstate Medical University benefits for Graduate Medical Education trainees. Those include full health & dental plans, malpractice insurance, life insurance, and retirement options.
Take a look at the Residency and Fellowship Programs at Upstate here!
In addition, the Department of Medicine also offers the following:
- PGY 1— $56,263
- PGY 2— $60,498
- PGY 3 — $63,310
- PGY 4 — $65,905
4 weeks (20 working days) per year as an R1, R2, and R3.
Free of charge for all current and future claims through NYS Public Officers Law.
Many options available, coverage begins 43rd day of employment.
Two plans—total of $40,000 coverage at no cost.
The parking fee and your parking location will be determined prior to your start date and an assignment will be made during the week of orientation for those who require parking.
Meal money provided when on call, lunch provided for noon report, coffee provided in the morning
- Free copies
- Resident lounge
- Department library
- $200 Annual Education Fund
- Lab Coats: 2 coats provided at start of program, 1 additional coat provided each additional year of training
- $600 presentation fund annually for first author
Educational Programs Office
Relocation advice, referrals, INS/ECFMG Liaison, Dean's Office Liaison.
Application Information for Preliminary and Categorical positions
ERAS (Electronic Residency Application Service applications.
Interview Season—October through January
- An updated CV and personal statement
- Medical School transcript
- Dean's letter
- Letters from three additional members of the faculty, including a Letter from the Chair if available. If no Chair Letter is available, please subsitute an additional LOR from a Medicine Faculty member. If applying as a Preliminary candidate, a Chair LOR from your desired specialty will suffice.
- ECFMG, USMLE, COMLEX Scores via USMLE or COMLEX transcript
- Valid ECFMG certificate
J1, Permanent Resident, EAD only. H1B Visa's will not be sponsored.
We require a "pass on 1st-attempt" for all required USMLE scores, including Step 2 CS. Step 3 is not a requirement to apply to our program, however if a Step 3 score is available, it must reflect a "pass on 1st-attempt" score. Preference is given to those whose files are complete prior to the application deadline. We prefer a score of 220 or above on USMLE Step 1 and 2.
We require a "pass on 1st-attempt" for all required COMLEX scores. Preference is given to those whose files are complete prior to the application deadline. We prefer a score of 500 or above on COMLEX.
For more information about our program, check out our powerpoint presentation