Upstate Medical University Department of Medicine participates in the NRMP, and accepts applications through ERAS only.
We receive over 7,500 applications per year and select several candidates to interview, including both Categorical and Preliminary candidates. We base selection upon a number of factors, including your academic performance (particularly in Medicine clerkships), personal qualities, letters of recommendation, USMLE scores, and clinical performance.
As part of the ERAS forms, we require:
- A letter from your Dean
- A letter from your Chairman of Medicine (or designee or Chairman of alternate residency for preliminary candidates)
- At least 3 additional letters of reference, preferably from faculty members who have worked with you in clinical settings
- Your medical school transcript
- A personal statement
- An updated CV and a valid ECFMG Certificate (ECFMG Certificate eligible pending Medical School Diploma will suffice), if applicable
- Male, U.S. born or naturalized citizen, parolee, undocumented immigrant, asylum seeker, permanent resident or refugee, must have registered between the ages of 18 and 26 for the U.S. Selective Service (the registry used for United States armed service) in order to work at the VAMC Syracuse (If you are female, or a male on a current non-immigrant visa, or are applying to a program that does not rotate to the VAMC Syracuse, please put N/A)
- A pre-employment drug screening
- Promulgated by the New York State Department of Health, provides that an individual who graduates from a non-LCME accredited foreign medical school may not train in New York State if his/her medical school education includes more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkship rotations outside of the country in which his/her medical school is located unless the individual is eligible for licensure under New York State Education Law
In addition, we require a 1st-attempt passing score on Step 1. For those (i.e. IMGs) in which additional testing is necessary in order to apply, we require a 1st-attempt passing score on Step 2CK and Step 2CS.
The deadline for completed applications is December 1. Interview days are held from early November through mid Jaunary. We will begin reviewing files as soon as ERAS post office box opens in October. Invitations to interview will be sent via ERAS email.
We look forward to receiving your application!