[Skip to Content]

Complaint Resolution

Students should attempt to resolve any issues or complaints directly with Upstate Medical University and the College in which they are enrolled.

Students’ complaints can be filed with the Dean of Student Affairs or the appropriate College Dean. All matters to do with academic programs and progress should be directed to the appropriate College Dean while all other matters related to the student experience may be filed with the Dean of Student Affairs. Alternatively, one may file a complaint anonymously via the “Student Complaint Form.” Additional information can be found by reviewing the Policy for Student Complaints and the Process for academic appeal.

Upstate Medical University is a member of the National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and follows the complaint resolution policies and procedures outlined within the SARA Policy Manual and summarized here.

Consumer protection complaints resulting from distance education courses, activities, and operations may be submitted to the eLearning Office (315-464-4860) for investigation and resolution. If a student is dissatisfied with the campus-based resolution, a concern may be submitted to System Administration of the State University of New York as outlined here. And, if still not satisfied, a complaint may be submitted, within two years of the incident about which the complaint is made, to the New York State Education Department as outlined here.