Distance Learning at Upstate
766 Irving Avenue
Syracuse, NY 13210
Google Maps & Directions
Phone: 315 464-8561
Fax: 315 464-7905
Name: Pamela Youngs-Maher
Select courses and select degree programs are available via distance learning at Upstate. Distance learning (DL) increases access to those courses and programs for students who face family, work, or distance constraints.
We utilize two primary delivery vehicles for distance learning:
- Online Learning (OL): Online courses are delivered via Blackboard, our Learning Management System. If you have access to the internet, you have access to your courses 24/7! [NOTE: you may also see we offer BL courses, which stands for Blended Learning. This means you still have some face-to-face (f2f) class meetings during the term, but some weeks you will meet online. Hence it is a blended (BL) course using both traditional f2f meetings and online meetings.]
- Interactive Conferencing (IC): Students meet at the same time, but in different locations for didactic (lecture based) classes. Our video conferencing technologies allow for classroom delivery and desktop delivery, based on faculty preference.
When you are registering for courses, use this glossary to our section codes help you determine which delivery method is being utilized.
With the example of an English course, this is how we code sections:
- ENGL325-001: The 001 means this is a face-to-face (f2f) course
- ENGL325-OL1: This section is entirely online (OL); no f2f classes
- ENGL325-BL1: This section is blended (both f2f AND OL meetings)
- ENGL325-IC1: Meets f2f via interactive conferencing in different places