Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP)
PrEP is a great way to reduce your risk of acquiring HIV. We accept PrEP patients from all walks of life and all types of HIV risk. Our PrEP patients can also receive their primary care at Upstate, and have access to all the support services that IHS has to offer, such as pharmacy support, peer mentorship, behavioral health and social work.
Currently, PrEP is offered as a daily pill called emtricitabine/tenofovir disaproxil fumarate (Truvada®). For those who take PrEP as prescribed, it reduces the risk of getting HIV by more than 90%.
PrEP can help:
- People with more than one sex partner
- People with sex partners who have high HIV risk
- People with sex partners known to have HIV
- People who inject drugs or hormones and share needles or have high risk sex
- Men who have sex with men
PrEP has few or no side effects
New York State offers an insurance, PrEP-AP, to assist those who do not have insurance or whose insurance does not adequately cover PrEP.
IHS accepts all insurances accepted through University Hospital.
- We will refer you to our PrEP case manager if you do not already have insurance.
Please call 315 464-5533 to set up an appointment for PrEP. We accept self-referrals or referrals from a provider.