[Skip to Content]

Departmental Internships / Affiliating School

For questions related to unpaid internship policy, process, and/or required paperwork, please contact:

Contact: Tracie Wildner, Professional Development Advisor
Phone: 315 464-6125
Email: wildnert@upstate.edu (Unpaid, Non-Patient Care Internships)

Internships are to be set-up by the individual requesting to intern in conjunction with the department agreeing to host the individual.

The individual requesting to intern must be eighteen (18) years of age or older. If the individual is seventeen (17) years of age or younger they may job shadow for three (3) days or less, visit our Job Shadowing page.

Departmental Internships are intended for:

  • Students seeking a structured, non-clinical academic experience or clinical rotation
  • Their home institution has an active affiliation agreement that specifically defines their role with Upstate
  • Credit hours are needed
  • The experience lasts longer than 3-days

To verify an affiliation agreement with Upstate, contact the Contracts Office. If needed, download the Affiliation Agreement Request Form.

If there is NO active affiliation agreement between Upstate and the student's home institution for an experience lasting longer than 3-days, see Special Placement Volunteers at Upstate Medical University

Departmental Internships - Individual Responsibilities:

Individuals requesting internships at Upstate Medical University are responsible for directly contacting the department where they would like to intern. Please visit Building Locations and Directions  to view building directories in order to find departments, locations, and contact information (click on the building/location of interest, click the 'Services' tab at the top of the map).

If an Upstate department/staff member agrees to sponsor the internship being requested, the required education and forms at the bottom of this page need to be completed.

Departmental Internships - Department Responsibilities:

Reference policy Policy V-06: Approved Non-Employee Hospital Visitor Access & Orientation (Intranet ONLY)

The sponsoring department is responsible for initiating the non-employee request within Self Serve, go to Applications and NonEmployee Management (NEMS). If you have any questions or require assistance completing this process, please contact Payroll Services at 464-4840 or email to StatePR@Upstate.edu.

The sponsoring department is also responsible for ensuring all required education/forms are completed and entered into Self Serve Tracker, health clearance is received, and an ID badge is issued prior to the beginning the internship. If the department is not able to enter the completed education into Self Serve Tracker, a copy of the completed forms should be sent to PDL, JH RM 711, email to pdl@upstate.edu, or fax to 4-4400, for entry.

To Be Completed by Student Prior to Internship:

Required Forms:

The Health Clearance form ONLY should be submitted to Upstate's Employee Health Office. Return all other required forms to the department/person you are interning with.

ID Badges:

The Non-Employee Management System (NEMS) is found in Self Serve under Applications. Any approved non-employee hospital visitor expected to be on campus for a period of more than three (3) days must obtain a plastic card-style ID Badge issued by the Payroll Office upon approval of the NEMS request made by the sponsoring department. If you have any questions or require assistance completing this process, please contact Payroll Services at 464-4840 or email to StatePR@Upstate.edu.

Individuals must bring with them an additional form of photo identification in order to obtain an ID badge. When the individual leaves campus service, return the ID badge to Payroll to inactivate. ID badges must be worn at all times.