Learn about visitor restrictions at all Upstate Hospitals
Visitation guidelines are set up to help ensure patient and staff safety, as well as patient privacy and confidentiality. To help ensure that our patients are not exposed to contagious diseases, children or adults recently exposed to illnesses such as chicken pox, flu, measles, or who are feeling sick, should not visit.
Upstate University Hospital visiting hours are:
Monday - Sunday 11 am to 8:00 pm
There are currently visitor restrictions in place. Please review them before traveling to the hospital.
- Visitors should check at the nursing station upon arrival to the unit, to learn if any restrictions apply to your visit.
- Some of our patient rooms are small and too many visitors can make patient care difficult. We appreciate your help in limiting visitors to a manageable number to support your recovery and minimize disturbing other patients.
- Visits by children should be discussed with the nurse manager. Adults who bring children are responsible for supervising them. Child visitors may not spend the night in the hospital. Some units have additional guidelines for child visitors.
- Health and operational needs of the hospital sometimes impact visitation but Upstate University Hospital strives to promote and maximize involvement of others through our visitation policy. Upstate University Hospital will only restrict visitors when medically necessary.
- Patients may withdraw visitation consent at any time by discussing their wishes with a nurse.
- Please wash hands or use hand sanitizer when you enter and leave patient rooms.
- Children under the age of 14 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult at all times.
- Overnight stays may be available for your family. Check with the nursing staff.
- University Police staff is available to escort visitors and families to their vehicles parked at Upstate.
Call (315) 492-5511.
Tobacco Free Policy
Upstate Medical University is entirely smoke and tobacco free both inside and throughout our grounds. A City of Syracuse ordinance passed in the Fall of 2009 prohibits smoking within 100 feet of our hospital. Smoking shall include cigarettes, cigars, pipes, electronic cigarettes or other similar items that emit smoke or vapor. "Tobacco-free" includes use of tobacco in any form. Smoking is not allowed on Upstate University Hospital property, including parking garages. There is a $50 fine for violation of the Tobacco Free policy. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated.