Your Hospital Stay
Welcome to Upstate. We want your hospital stay to be as safe, pleasant and comfortable as possible. Your comfort, convenience, and peace of mind are extremely important to us. Learn more about your hospital stay in our Guide to Information and Services.
Phone: 315 464-5280
Hours: 7am-11pm, 7 days a week
Located in the main lobby of University Hospital, the Upstate Admitting Office serves patients and families at both University Hospital Downtown and University Hospital at the Community Campus.
- For scheduled inpatient admissions, outpatient surgery or procedures, call 315 464-5027 to pre-register, to ask about anticipated out-of-pocket costs, and to ensure your insurance company has authorized your upcoming treatment.
- For emergency or unplanned admissions, call 315 464-5032 to speak with insurance verification specialists who will assist our Utilization Review staff in authorizing your unplanned hospitalization.
Ambassadors are available to assist you to your appointment. Contact us to set up a transport at 315 464-5030. Let us know when you’re coming and they'll meet you in the parking garage or traffic circle. University Hospital and the Cancer Center also have Valet Parking available.
Where to Park
The East Garage is located directly across the street from the Hospital main entrance. Entrances are on Sarah Loguen Street or Elizabeth Blackwell Street. Elevators and handicap parking spaces are located on every level of the garage.
What to Bring
We want your stay to be as comfortable as possible. Here are some recommendations on what to bring and leave home.
- For a child, a favorite toy
- For an adult, a magazine or book to read
- Limited personal belongings
- If you bring a wheelchair or assitive device (walker/cane) ensure it is properly labeled with your name
- Loose-fitting comfortable clothing, including footwear
- Your insurance cards, photo identification and/or Social Security card
- A copy of any Advance Directives you have previously completed. These will become a permanent part of your medical record. If you do not have an Advance Directive, you may obtain a health care proxy form at the hospital or from the NY State Department of Health. If you have questions about Advance Directives, please call Upstate Connect at 800 464-8668.
What to Leave Home
- All electrical equipment (you may bring your cell phone and charger)
- Large sums of money and credit cards. You will need money only for such things as insurance co-pays, newspapers or any items purchased from the hospital gift shop
- Jewelry and other valuables
- Please do not bring or send latex balloons. Many people are allergic to the latex. Mylar balloons are a safe alternative.
- Medications from home
- Alcohol, tobacco, illegal drugs and weapons
- Blankets, pillow and sheets