A special care program to continue your recovery at home
This innovative program allows admitted patients who meet program criteria to continue recovery from the comfort of home, supported by comprehensive hospital-level care assisted by loved ones.
By utilizing in-home visits and technology solutions, the patient’s care team tailors the care plan to meet the patient’s needs in a way that is mindful of their health, safety and convenience. With Upstate Hospital at Home, this care plan continues to be covered by the patient’s insurance and includes:
- at least two in-person nursing visits per day
- one in-person or telemedicine visit per day from a provider
- delivery of all necessary medical equipment, supplies and prescriptions
- 24/7 remote monitoring and response if needed
Hospital at Home is offered to patients on a case-by-case basis considering many criteria. If a patient chooses to not take part, we will continue to provide care in the hospital until they are safe to be discharged.
Who may be appropriate for the Upstate Hospital at Home program?
- Are age 19 and over, who live in Onondaga county and have Medicare. These patients must be competent, not at risk of falling and are able to care for themselves or have a 24-hour caregiver in the home.
- Have a safe home that is accessible for in-home and online visits.
- Have conditions with well-defined treatment protocols. Some examples include Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Chronic Heart Failure (CHF), Cellulitis, Pneumonia, Diabetes Melitis (DM), or those transitioning to end of life care.
- Still need hospital-level care but are stable enough to be safely monitored from the comfort of home.
Evidence supports that Hospital at Home patients have better clinical outcomes, fewer hospital readmissions and emergency room visits or less need for nursing home care. In shortening the traditional inpatient hospital stay, most patients experience fewer complications such as infection or falls.
If you or a loved one are currently admitted at Upstate University Hospital or Upstate Community Hospital, ask a member of your care team about the Hospital at Home program.