Smoking and Vaping Cessation at Upstate
Let's Clear the Air: Upstate’s Tobacco Treatment Team strives to empower our patients, their families, staff, students and the communities that we serve with evidence-based pharmacotherapy treatment plans that are tailored to each individual. Combined with counseling, support and education to enable them to achieve and maintain a tobacco-free lifestyle therefore, enhancing their quality of life and promoting healthier futures.
These resources are offered at no cost to you:
- Smoking and Vaping Cessation Classes (Held Quarterly)
- Nicotine Replacement Products (for employees, students, volunteers and their eligible dependents)
- NY State Smoker's Quitline: (866) 697-8487
- Free Nicotine Replacement Kits for Visitors Program (Available 24/7 at Downtown and Community Hospital)
Meet the Upstate Tobacco Treatment Program Experts
Theresa is a Mayo Clinic certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist and a Registered Respiratory Therapist for Upstate’s Cancer Center. She is Upstate’s Tobacco Treatment Education Coordinator. Upstate is the premier leader in Tobacco Treatment in Central New York. We offer free smoking and vaping cessation classes to the community-at-large through Health Link, One-on-One counseling for any patient who sees an Upstate provider through a referral to the tobacco treatment and smoking cessation Program, Nicotine Replacement Clear the Air Kits to our visitors free of charge 24/7 at Community and Downtown hospitals, Free Nicotine Replacement for anyone with an Upstate ID including eligible dependents along with one-on-one counseling, and a support group held in the Cancer Center the first Monday of each month. We strive to empower anyone with a nicotine addiction with education, evidence-based therapies and on-going support to help them achieve and maintain a tobacco-free lifestyle.
Carolyn is a Mayo Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist. She also is a Registered Respiratory Therapist at Upstate University Hospital. Beginning with tobacco treatment counseling at the bedside at University Hospital, she now offers, to University hospital Clinics and employees, one on one counseling at the Upstate Cancer Center and at the Upstate Health Care Center. Contact Carolyn so learn how she may help you begin your journey to becoming smoke free.
Daniel is a Registered Respiratory Therapist and part of Upstate's tobacco treatment team. He attended respiratory therapy school at Upstate and has worked in the hospital since 2000. Dan attended tobacco treatment classes at Roswell Park. Dan offers one on one counseling at the Upstate's Cancer Center and at Upstate's Downtown Clinics. Upstate's employees are also welcome for one on one counseling. If you're looking to live a tobacco-free life, contact Daniel and we will put together a quit plan just for you.
Jackson joined the tobacco treatment team in 2019. He earned his B.S. in Respiratory Care at SUNY upstate Medical University and has worked at Upstate since 2004. He attended the Tobacco treatment specialist training at Roswell in 2019 and has worked part time at the Cancer Center as a tobacco treatment specialist helping patients and staff, and the community overcome their nicotine addiction.
Suzanne, a Mayo Clinic Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist, has helped people with behavior changes for a healthier lifestyle for more than 30 years. Suzanne holds a M.S. in Health Education and is a Certified Personal Trainer, Behavior Specialist, Certified Nutrition Specialist, Certified Wellness Practitioner and Certified Worksite Wellness Program Director. At Upstate, Suzanne’s primary role is to coordinate the Pathway to Wellness program. Suzanne is passionate about her job and wants to help persons who are ready to quit smoking be successful. For services for patients and community members please contact Theresa Hankin. Suzanne assists with employees and students.
CNY community tobacco treatment and smoking cessation program
- Smoking and vaping cessation classes to the community through HealthLink
- Worksite cessation program options
- To register for free tobacco treatment and smoking cessation classes, call (315) 464-8668
Smoke Free Zones
Consult these Upstate maps for Smoke/Tobacco Free Zones on Upstate property:
Various local help that will support you in quitting. Resources are available for all patients, visitors, employees and members of our community.
These resources are offered at no cost to you:
- New York State Smokers Quitline 1-866-697-8487 - Cessation Counseling & Nicotine Replacement (if eligible) NY Smoke Free Web Site
- Upstate’s HealthLink Quit and Stay Quit Cessation Program. Free Smoking and Vaping Cessation Classes call 315-464-8668 to register or call Theresa Hankin phone 315-464-3519 or email HankinT@upstate.edu
- Upstate’s Tobacco Users Support Group(Syracuse) “Get the help you need to make informed decisions” First Monday of the month, call for times
Upstate’s Cancer Center 750 East Adams St. Syracuse, NY Call Theresa Hankin to register phone 315-464-3519
- ALA Freedom from Smoking (Syracuse) Eight Week Cessation Program 315-218-0850
- Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program (Chenango County) Cessation Program for Pregnant/Postpartum Tobacco Users phone 607-337-1660
- Bridges to Prevent Tobacco (Canastota) Individual Cessation Counseling 315-697-3947
- Cayuga Center for Healthy Living (Ithaca) Cessation Counseling and Monthly Support Groups Kathy Eliason at 607-252-3590
- Cortland Convenient Care (Cortland) Monthly Support Group Kathy Eliason at 607-252-3590
- Lourdes: ALA Freedom from Smoking (Binghamton) Eight Week Cessation Program 1-877-9LOURDES
- Quit for Life: Excellus BCBS Members (Online) Cessation Counseling & Nicotine Replacement Therapy (if eligible) 1-800-442-8904 or Excellusbcbs
- Mothers & Babies Perinatal Network (CNY) Quit Kit for Pregnant/PostPartum Tobacco Users 1-800-231-0744
- Oneida County Health Department (Oneida County) tobacco treatment and smoking cessation Classes 315-798-5486
- Smoke Free for My Baby & Me Program (Oswego County) Cessation Program for Pregnant/PostPartum Tobacco Users 315-343-2590