Hui-Hao Lin, PhD
Assistant Professor of Neuroscience and Physiology
RESEARCH PROGRAMS AND AFFILIATIONS
Biomedical Sciences Program
Neural circuit mechanisms of feeding regulation in Drosophila
The neural basis of nutrient-specific feeding behavior
Our lab is interested in the neural mechanism that controls nutrient-specific feeding behavior. By employing molecular biology, neurogenetics, behavior, and functional imaging techniques, we use Drosophila as a model organism to explore the following questions:
- What is the neuronal substrate that orchestrates protein-feeding behavior?
- How are different nutrient-specific signals integrated in central circuits to regulate feeding?
- How do internal states regulate feeding through neuromodulation of different feeding circuits?
- Lin HH, Kuang M, Hossain I, Xuan Y, Beebe L, Shepherd AK, Rolandi M, Wang JW. A nutrient-specific gut hormone arbitrates between courtship and feeding. Nature. 2022. 632-638.
- Sethi S, Lin HH., Shepherd AK, Volkan PC, Su CY., and Wang JW. Social Context Enhances Hormonal Modulation of Pheromone Detection in Drosophila. Curr. Biol. 2019. 29, 3887-3898.e4.
- Ng R, Salem SS, Wu ST, Wu M, Lin HH, Shepherd AK, Joiner WJ, Wang JW, and Su CY. Amplification of Drosophila Olfactory Responses by a DEG/ENaC Channel. Neuron. 2019. 104, 947-959.e5.
- Tao X*, Lin HH*, Lam T, Rodriguez R, Wang JW, Kubby J. Transcutical imaging with cellular and subcellular resolution. Biomed Opt Express. 2017 Mar 1;8(3):1277-1289. (* equal contribution)
- Ng R, Lin HH, Wang JW, Su CY. Electrophysiological Recording from Drosophila Trichoid Sensilla in Response to Odorants of Low Volatility. J Vis Exp. 2017 Jul 27;(125).
- Lin HH*, Cao DS*, Sethi S, Zeng Z, Chin JSR, Chakraborty TS, Shepherd AK, Nguyen CA, Yew JY, Su CY, Wang JW. Hormonal Modulation of Pheromone Detection Enhances Male Courtship Success. Neuron. 2016 Jun 15;90(6):1272-1285. (* equal contribution)
- Research highlighted in “Previews” by Márcia M. Aranha, Maria Luísa Vasconcelos.” Willing and Able: The Coordination between Sexual Displays and Fertility“ in Neuron 90, 1146-1147.
- Lin HH, Chu LA, Fu TF, Dickson BJ, Chiang AS. Parallel neural pathways mediate CO2 avoidance responses in Drosophila. Science. 2013 Jun 14;340(6138):1338-41.
- Research highlighted in “Perspective” by Su, C.Y, and Carlson, J.R. “Circuit logic of avoidance and attraction” in Science 340, 1295-1297.
- Pai TP*, Chen CC*, Lin HH, Chin AL, Lai JS, Lee PT, Tully T, Chiang AS. Drosophila ORB protein in two mushroom body output neurons is necessary for long-term memory formation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 May 7;110(19):7898-903.
- Chiang AS, Lin CY, Chuang CC, Chang HM, Hsieh CH, Yeh CW, Shih CT, Wu JJ, Wang GT, Chen YC, Wu CC, Chen GY, Ching YT, Lee PC, Lin CY, Lin HH, Wu CC, Hsu HW, Huang YA, Chen JY, Chiang HJ, Lu CF, Ni RF, Yeh CY, Hwang JK. Three-dimensional reconstruction of brain-wide wiring networks in Drosophila at single-cell resolution. Curr Biol. 2011 Jan 11;21(1):1-11.
- Tseng SJ, Lee YH, Chen ZH, Lin HH, Lin CY, Tang SC. Integration of optical clearing and optical sectioning microscopy for three-dimensional imaging of natural biomaterial scaffolds in thin sections. J Biomed Opt. 2009 Jul-Aug;14(4):044004.
- Lin HH, Lai JS, Chin AL, Chen YC, Chiang AS. A map of olfactory representation in the Drosophila mushroom body. Cell. 2007 Mar 23;128(6):1205-17.
- Lin HH, Lin CY, Chiang AS. Internal representations of smell in the Drosophila brain. J Biomed Sci. 2007 Jul;14(4):453-9.
Link to PubMed (Opens new window. Close the PubMed window to return to this page.)